new 55g setup stocking list

dwwataz

Hello, I'm new to the hobby and just set up my first tank. Petco was doing the $1/gallon sale a few months ago and figured it'd be a good starter. The tank finished cycling about a month ago. I currently have 60 lbs of live sand(ranging from 2-4" of bed), 30 lbs of live rock, and 30 lbs of dry rock.

My CuC consists of;
few dozen snails
dozen or so blue leg hermits
1 emerald crab
1 sally lightfoot crab
2 porcelain crabs
2 peppermint shrimp
1 fire shrimp

my other residents are;
2 ocellaris clowns(dominance established)
1 royal gramma
2 bonded hi fin gobies
1 tiger pistol shrimp(blue stripes instead of tan!)... and naturally, the gobies are on one side of the tank and the pistol the other.
1? randall's pistol? I dropped him in on the opposite side as the tiger but, surprise surprise, he made a left turn to the tiger's side. No idea if he's made it.

my future plans are, and I'd like opinions;
3 pajama cardinals
1 midas blenny
1 lawnmower blenny (once my tank is more established)
1 fairy wrasse (would be the last fish)
assuming the randall doesn't get eaten by the tiger, I was thinking a smaller/more peaceful goby for whichever shrimp gets stranded like a yasha or tangora.

I've read mixed experiences with having a midas AND lmb in the same tank.
I was curious if I was maybe over-shooting the stocking list too. It seems, to me at any rate, that'd be the maximum fish in my tank.

I have a HOB skimmer rated for a 65g and have been doing 1-2 5g water changes a week, though I'm thinking I may need to start doing 1 10g/week.

I'd appreciate any and all criticism/personal experience/suggestions.
Thank you!
-Dave

I would limit the fish on your list to a total of 6 or 7 fish, 8 at the most. I would keep only one of the blennies, I like the Starry Blenny over the Lawnmower Blenny.

Thank you for the response. I figured the list may be a bit on the heavy side. I did also see, and like, the stary blenny too. Maybe I'll do one of those instead. It took two days, but the gobies did find the randall pistol this morning. He's been out and about furiously building them a den.

Hard at work

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
I have 4 fish and 2 shrimp in a 55g. You'd be surprised how fast it feels filled out. My last addition will be a dragon goby at some point so I'd caution 5-8 would be plenty too. You going fowlr or reef?

Back