New 75 build - want it to be perfect HELP!!!

can i see a full tank shot of the tank that these pictures are coming from? everything looks very healthy!
and i cant wait untill my tank " tank elf" gets home! she's in CA with her mother right now.

electrobes - good call on the cylindrical carbon, I have had good luck with the Kent, but it always bugged me that it looked "sealed up". I think I will run individual carbon, phosphate and calcium reactors.

I don't know if I will use ozone.

I think I will take the effluent from my calcium reactor and run it through the skimmer. That way I can "blow off" the CO2 and not screw up the ph as easily.

Maybe 3 Kent reactors will do the trick, they are cheap and look like good quality.

I was worried about the RIO Plus at first, $31 pump, must be crap right? But it is the quitest pump I have ever used ( tried a few in my day). I also have figured its only pulling 35 watts and the tank temp was at 75 degrees with no pump to 75.7 degrees with the rio. But I am totally open minded, should I go to an external like a dolphin, iwaki, little giant or ?

chris munn - let me get a full tank shot tomorrow night. I just culled some Xenia that where taking over, and moved some stuff around. I also want to pick up a couple newbies tomorrow afternoon. My LFS told me he is getting 120 new corals in tomorrow.

Here is a full tank shot from a couple weeks ago, she is looking alot better right now though. This Phosquard kicked the poop out of the little bit of cyano I had in corners.

P1010008-1.jpg

There are some hidden gems that don't show in my full tank shot. I have a couple leather and a fox that are digging my tank. The leathers have doubled in size in two weeks and my plate had to be moved to the bottom, it was way bigger than I thought it was and I was worried that sitting on the live rock would hurt it.

Wow, my best run on sentence ever. Time to grab another bud, ha!

Almost the same...I have a 75 AGA non-reef ready, but I'm getting it drilled and making a custom overflow. I have a 33 gallon sump and a 10 gallon refugium. I like your stocking list, although I know many people say not to have a yellow and a hippo ina 75, I plan to have them anyway, if they get too big I can trade them at my LFS.
Here's Mine, the quality it poor, it was taken with my cell phone. My wife left our digital camera and water bottle in her purse, you can imagine what happened.
blackstand.jpg

Don't worry, it's labour day, no cops working today. hahahaha

Welcome aboard Phillybean, I have christened this the "Ultimate 75 Build" thread. Even though my 75 may not be the best you will see here.

Hey, can I change the title of this thread to Ultimate 75 Build ?

Ok, I found a new fish for my tank, I let it go... because my tank is too small, but what do you think about a baby one?
5-28-2006-03.jpg

God I love living in Florida!!!!! Thats me on the right.

man toonascott, that tank you have now is so nice, i cant wait to see this "ultimate 75g" in 3 years! i bet its one bad mamo jamma!

and dont worry about the tang police, they're pretty leniant! i got popped a couple of years back for a hippo in a 10g:lol: they let me off easy, only having to give my stocking list once per month to make sure i was going to hurt anybody. no fines or jail time, just a short probationary period:D

Aye, I also hear sirens...just wait until they get back to work tomorrow :)

I love seeing other 75 gallon builds for 2 reasons,
1 - Motovation, seeing other peoples progress compared to mine gives me the motovation to keep going.
2 - Mistakes. I like learning the easy way and hope to learn from your mistakes, because we all make them.

Phillybean. I just thought of something. Your build could be the ultimate 75. If you drill your tank from the bottom or lower back, you can hide all equipment. Check out this video the dude has managed to hide all equipment in his tank. Totally Righteous, yes I am an 80's reject.
http://www.truenorthreef.com/newcube.wmv

I'm hoping to have most of it hidden, I plan to have a very high aquascape, however, I'm to scared to do something like that. If the powergoes out, the pump dies, I'm hooped. I have the design in my head, so if the power does go, the pump dies, etc. I will have enough room in my sump to cover it. I love the idea of having it at the bottom, but, I'm to nervous :(

chrismunn , I like your sense of humour bud. Hope the Tang Police didnt do any body cavity searches, ha! That Sailfish we caught was an amazing creature. It went ape $%#@ when we set the hook. I have since caught a few more sailfish and they never cease to amaze. The good news is the sailfish population has never been better in South East Florida. Almost no one keeps them. There was a recent tournament in Westpalm beach and they caught over 900 fish in 3 days. The sport fishing industry is 100 times more profitable than commercial fishing and I pray that one day it will be responsible for the elimination of commercial fishing alltogether. I have some cool pictures of fish that I have caught and released... stay toona for more.

Here is my newest "tank elf" Don't worry chrismunn, yours will be home safe and sound soon.

P1010020.jpg

Phillybean, what if we figure out how to prevent a power out / drained tank event?

Water has some unique properties that we might be able to exploit.

Maybe some sort of antidrain back shut off..... hmmmm....

I have an idear.... any and all holes in tank can have a normally closed solenoid that only open if powered up.

I have used such solenoids when building race cars. Bye the way, here is a car I toona'd

Phillybean, what if we figure out how to prevent a power out / drained tank event?

Water has some unique properties that we might be able to exploit.

Maybe some sort of antidrain back shut off..... hmmmm....

I have an idear.... any and all holes in tank can have a normally closed solenoid that only open if powered up.

I have used such solenoids when building race cars. Bye the way, here is a car I toona'd
Picture008.jpg

Back