New 75 build - want it to be perfect HELP!!!

Ill be paying close attention when you get to the closed loop as I will consider it. Ill be starting a 75 or 90 soon. Im shopping for tanks now.

2.) as part of my bachelor party 3 years ago we were supposed to go sailfishing in miami. We cancelled when it was 40 degrees. Yes Miami can get down to 40 degrees and windy. None of us had winter clothes. Sure ould like to go over to the east coast to try it again.

chrismunn - I almost forgot to answer your question, It took 30 minutes to calm that sailfish down. Sailfish are what I consider one of the ultimate gamefish, they fight like no other fish. I actually try to avoid them now. I don't want to hurt them, as they almost kill themselves trying to get away. I like to catch these instead
12-8-20043-07.jpg

YUMMY, Blackfin toona BABY, that is how I created my nickname , I like catching tuna and I tune cars. My name is Scott, so .... toonascott !!

Wow, nice car. Those new mustangs are awesome eh' (Im canadian eh'). A solenoid could work, also the float valves, I could have one in the sump. When the sump gets too high the valve shuts off the flow until the pump goes again. I can't drill the bottom due to tempered glass, but the back at the bottom may work...you have me thinking.

Now, do they have reef friendly solenoids, something that won't rust...

drives300 - miami is the capitol of sailfish alley my friend, so no more "where's alley" hehehe

Sorry for getting off track y'all.

Closed loop , if I was to pick the ultimate closed loop it would be the oceans motions system.
closedloop-complete.jpg

DID YOU drill that youself thats pretty sweet. Any pics of the drilling process. Do the elves drill and can I borrow them

I was leaning towards doing powerheads but decided to go to closed loop last week. Still debating on the best way to do it. I think a 2" pipe going into a pump, then split into 4 would do the job. I think a 1800 GPH pump, lose 300 to head, would give me a overturn of 20/hour.

What ya think fellas, I want to test drive this light setup....

Two 150 watt, 10,000k PowerPaq HQI lamp
Two 460nm Actinic 54 watt T5-HO SlimPaq lamps
Two 420nm Actinic 54 watt T5-HO SlimPaq lamps
Nine Blue Lunar lights
Nine White Lunar lights
Total of 529 watts

Size:
Fixture is 48" x 15" x 4.25".

All fit into this...
mylight.jpg

Hahahaha, drives300... that is a pic of someone elses closed loop, I would like to do the same thing. I have to ask the elves if they are up to it. I will keep ya posted.

30 minutes uh, thats good fight. ive never had anything near that. then again ive never been sailfishing! the longes i ever fought wasnt that long because it was a fight i was going to win. im not even sure what it was i had hooked? i was with my dad under the golden gate bride in SanFrancisco and hooked something big. it swam around for a while, while we followed it in the boat. finally my dad decided that we werent going to get it up (lol, get it up) so he cut the line. he was convinced it was a seal, but we never actually saw what it was. i only wish we would have given it a little longer.
my dad was talkin' about going alaskan salmon and halibut fishing be fore he passed. that would have been awsome!

back to the topic at hand. thats one serious closed loop! if we were all so dedicated, that system alone could put the power head buisnees to a screeching hault! wowee!

That's a sweet set-up, I was thinking of something like that, but out of my price range. Are you getting the elves to make you a canopy? My only concern is that it might not fit under a canopy. (I'm a big fan of canopies, kinda like a car with-out a roof, still looks good, but seems like something is missing)

I happen to be a fan of canopies. i had an open top on my last tank kand didnt like the look. Consider canopy/retro.

Power on that fixture should be pretty adequate for most. I had sps under 150s but kept them near the top of tank

i dont know why, but i like the look of hanging lights. although they put out alot of stray light that a canopy would keep. i think that fixture in the pic is bad! i could only wish for one of thoes!

phillybean, sounds like you have the right math. I am thinking about drilling an additional hole at the bottom of my overflow to handle the closed loop. Then I will have to mod the top of my overflow to handle a little more flow.

Anyone else think the rio plus should go? I think it might move 500 gph at 2 foot head. There is a dude on Reef central that goes by Melev, the pics of his tanks backup his skills. He and I share the opinion that to avoid micro bubbles in sump, use a return pump that moves 3-5 times the volume of your display tank. That doesnt mean you cannot have a closed system that moves an additional 25 times the tank volume. Just means to avoid micro bubbles, sump must flow relatively smooth and slow.

if you add the closed loop intake to the overflow box, the cascading water will create bubbles that will then enter the closed loop yes?

In my canopy I'm having:

2, 175 Watt 14000k bulbs
2, 28 Watt T5's
8, LED Moonlights
2, 6" Computer Fans

Should be enough. The only problem I have is ceiling clearence, the ceiling is only about 6'3 where mt tank sits under, so the canopy will be going nearly to the ceiling, so will have to have a door on the front the swings up. I planning on getting hydralics (sp?) from a old hatchback for it.

chrismunn.. sorry your dad passed before you could taking him salmon and "barn door" fishing. Halibut are like reeling in a barn door, hehehehe. He might thank you for that.

Canopies do tidy things up and look beautiful, but I want to avoid the chiller. Halides and canopies are going to put me in chiller land, I fear.

Don't get me wrong. I love all the gizmos and technology. I just like to try and keep it simple if at all possible. What a hobby to pick if I like to keep it simple, eh?

I am also digging the open top concept. I am trying to find a pic of a setup some dude on RC just posted. It is pretty cool. Be right back

I've never talked to melev, but the man is a genius. I like your idea, a nice slow moving sump, with an aggressive closed loop.

Back