New acquisitions and ID request

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
So I bought some new corals yesterday. One of which I like to label “Project Acropora” believed to be a tenius by the LFS however I don’t know if it’s a tenius or not. I call it “Project Acropora” cause well it was half dead and I got it for $5. I took it home, fragged all the live parts off of it just to see what it turns into. Under my halides it’s a purplish body with green polyps. Thoughts on if it’s a Tenius or some other species?

Oh and the new ones were sold as pink birdsnest (that’s a given), ORA Hawkins (not 100% on this one), and ORA Orange Setosa.

7377E4D7-38CF-4A7D-8159-1C13A11A3EC7.jpeg
3E9B89F5-CFB9-48F2-8E2F-8CD6078BA9A6.jpeg
CA808B26-BE52-4330-8CE7-AE1DBE12B6F8.jpeg

Tenius is a good guess. This looks familiar but the name isn’t coming to me.

Went to the first club meeting since I resigned from the board maybe 10 years ago (club burnout is real). I showed up with containers of blueridge for the raffle. Each container had a fist size or twice that of coral "frags". Other folks had donated frags that were at best the size of a child's fingernail - all nicely mounted on a frag plug like above. Smallest frag plugs I have ever seen and smallest frags I have ever seen.

I dropped by two LFS for the first time in a decade to check out corals... same thing $20-$100 frags are now not much bigger than a half a skittle (at best). I mean back in my day (horse buggy it feels like) frags were bigger than the plugs...even the uber expensive stuff from Tyree and Fox were usually encrusted over the whole plug and the size of a silver dollar or bigger...

Anyway...

Nice looking corals.

Thanks! The tenius frags are frags I took off what was left of the skeleton. I don’t think all will make it but we’ll see. Those are 1inch frag plugs so they aren’t that huge. That’s one of the first things I noticed when I came back a couple years ago was the frags are micro sized

Went to the first club meeting since I resigned from the board maybe 10 years ago (club burnout is real). I showed up with containers of blueridge for the raffle. Each container had a fist size or twice that of coral "frags". Other folks had donated frags that were at best the size of a child's fingernail - all nicely mounted on a frag plug like above. Smallest frag plugs I have ever seen and smallest frags I have ever seen.

I dropped by two LFS for the first time in a decade to check out corals... same thing $20-$100 frags are now not much bigger than a half a skittle (at best). I mean back in my day (horse buggy it feels like) frags were bigger than the plugs...even the uber expensive stuff from Tyree and Fox were usually encrusted over the whole plug and the size of a silver dollar or bigger...

Anyway...

Nice looking corals.
Yep, we've been here, done that and have seen the nonsense.

Back