new aquarist needing advice on future of tank

MrDemonicAngel

Setup: 20 gallon long FOWLR: 2x ocellaris: 20.5 lb of LR and 20 lb of LS; Aquaclear 50 power filter (ones you hang on back); submerg heater set at 77*F; Koralia nano 425; Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting

I just finished cycling the water and got the :thumbsup: from the lfs on water test to add fish. Last night I got 2x fancy ocellaris.

I needed advice on two things:

1. Could I safely add a yellow watchman goby + tiger pistol shrimp? When can I add them if its safe? (I plan on adding no other fish at the moment but may eventually buy a hippo tang as a baby to move into a 200 gallon tank in the future - depending on how I fair with this 20 gal)
2. What/how many CUC do I need? When can I add it?

during cycling stage = no fish, no led
photo1.jpg

last night w/ fish w/ led
photo-4.jpg

i would have got the CUC before adding the clowns. it isnt to late though. there are lots of places you can order CUCs from and most of them sell them by size of the tank, in you case you wont need much.
add the CUC then wait a few weeks for the bacteria to establish to handle the bio load you dont want to add too much to fast.
be prepared to hear from the tang police about hippo in a 20L (i wont tell).

welcome to RC

CUC usually goes before fish/corals, so try to get one before adding more fish to the system. Then I would wait a couple of weeks and get the goby/shrimp.
DO NOT GET THE TANG, get the 200 gal tank first and then get the tang. Do not get any livestock for future tanks.

Hi there. Welcome to Reef Central and congratulations on your new tank!

I would recommend waiting a week between adding more fish to the tank. Even though it is cycled, it's considered good practice to gradually increase bio-load as opposed to doing it suddenly.

The clean-up crew can be added at any time after the tank is cycled. It's best to do it sooner rather than later as diatoms tend to hit quickly. I would recommend getting assorted snails, such as Nassarius, Cerith, Nerite, Astrea or Turbo. Start out with just a few of each and add more should the need arise.

the lfs guy told me to put the CUC after the first fish since I had "no bioload" since I had "no fish". Guess I may need to start looking for a new lfs...

thanks for the suggestions on the list of assorted snails...will try to pick some up either tonight or tomorrow

as for the tang...guess to clarify this...I meant if I do well with the 20L, I'll DEFINITELY buy a 200g so while the 200g tank (purchased by this time) is cycling I'll buy the tang and keep it in the 20L for like 3-4 weeks during the 200g tank cycling period...and I was just hoping that the fish combo in 20L during this time wouldnt be a problem

It's best to purchase the tang post 200gal. If you run in to problems with the 200gal setup you're stuck with a tang in a 20 gal aquarium.

the lfs guy told me to put the CUC after the first fish since I had "no bioload" since I had "no fish". Guess I may need to start looking for a new lfs...

as for the tang...guess to clarify this...I meant if I do well with the 20L, I'll DEFINITELY buy a 200g so while the 200g tank (purchased by this time) is cycling I'll buy the tang and keep it in the 20L for like 3-4 weeks during the 200g tank cycling period...and I was just hoping that the fish combo in 20L during this time wouldnt be a problem

Well in theroy.... this would be your QT... and the new 200 would be your DT... But QT does not have rock or any substrate...

Yea -1 to the Tang... To nice of a fish to have a problem if things go sour in the 200. Take a picture of the Tang and put it on the back side of the tank... then you can see how it looks at least... (sorry just a bit of humor...) Besides if the TANG is infected or anything and you put it in the current tank... now the Clowns are infected too... and all the rock and substrate. that makes it 8 weeks to sit.

Safe instead of sorry... Sunday driver instead of race car driver.

Well in theroy.... this would be your QT... and the new 200 would be your DT... But QT does not have rock or any substrate...

Yea -1 to the Tang... To nice of a fish to have a problem if things go sour in the 200. Take a picture of the Tang and put it on the back side of the tank... then you can see how it looks at least... (sorry just a bit of humor...) Besides if the TANG is infected or anything and you put it in the current tank... now the Clowns are infected too... and all the rock and substrate. that makes it 8 weeks to sit.

Safe instead of sorry... Sunday driver instead of race car driver.

yea...i guess its a no go on the tang...still wondering about having hermits as part of the CUC with goby/shrimp pair in the same tank......

Back