New but not New?

No one mentioned it. Definitely check out the used equipment section. You can save bundles of money with even just buying a few used pieces. People are always getting out of the hobby and upgrading, so there's plenty of good stuff in good condition to buy.

Also, join a reef club or try to get in touch with other reefers in your area. This will allow you to get free and/or cheap coral frags. Saving bundles of money.

Ok this is going to be my equipment list if I don't tweak it for some used stuff thats just as good.

100 lbs. Base Rock
20-30 lbs. Live Rock (to seed my br)
2x New 200 watt visatherm heater
Megaflow Sump (model 3 or 4)
Continuous Siphon Overflow for sump
Aqua lifter pump (for overflow)
Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer (the 220)
Aquafuge External Hang-on Refugium (sm. or med.)
Marine Biosediment (for fuge)
Mag Drive 5 pump (for return line to tank)
4x Maxi-Jet 1200 (for flow)
Aqualight Elite Metal Halide/Compact Florescent (48" 692 watt. 2-250w, 2-96w)

--OR--

Nova Extreme T-5 w/lunar lights (48" 432watt. 8x 54w with 4x lunar lights)

This is my list of supplies but as I said if I can get stuff cheaper on here for the used section that is just as good then I will go with that. I do belong to a reef club (Upstate Reef Society) and when I get the tank up and running most of my frags are goig to be from people there.

Thanks,
-Kevin

If you DIY a sump/fuge combo you will save a TON of money. Here's a drawing of one I did for a friend a few weeks back. I wouldn't suggest that you externally mount your return pump or that you use a Mag 9.5. You could downsize the pump to save money as well.

sump.jpg

How much did it all cost to make that one? I would like to mak one as it would save me alot but I am no master craftsman and neither is my dad so building one myself is kinda out of the question. I could try and find someone that would build one for me?

Thanks,
-Kevin

-10gal or 20gal tank $10-$20
-Glass baffles from Lowes $10
-1 Tube of GE silicone II for windows and doors $4
-Mag 7 Pump (which is what I would reccomend for you) $60 (marinedepot.com)
-plumbing supplies $50+/-

-6 pack of beer... oh wait you're not old enough for that so you don't have to worry about that expense. :D

That's about it. Lowes will cut the glass to your exact measurements, then all you have to do is silicone the baffles in, let them dry for a day and you're ready to start hooking it up. This sump will double as a fuge so it really knocks alot off of your purchase list.

Also, you don't have to be a master craftsman to build one of these. Silicone is very forgiving, and if you mess it up, you can just use a razorblade to peel the silicone off and start over. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional! :D

Garsh I want to save a lot of money but I don't know anything about setting the whole thing up. how to glue and such. Where to put things, drill tanks, attach bulkheads that sort of thing.

thanks,
-Kevin

I just looked up Afton, NY and i see you are near(ish) to Binghampton. I frequent another baord here called the "upstate reef society" and i know we have some members from your area already. stop over some time to The URS , introduce yourself and maybe somebody local can help you out with some of your challenges....

if you get a siphon HOB overflow like you mentioned earlier you will not have to drill anything. As far as gluing..... it's pretty much common sense, you put glue on the fitting, put glue on the pipe and join them together.... not much technical to it. You're just taking the water from point A to point B and then back to point A again. It's not rocket science, just use your best judgement and common sense and you should be fine.

what type of plumbing supplies will I need? Where can I find the baffles in Lowes (what section). Do you have any pics of the one you described?

Thanks,
-Kevin

no pics handy with me. The diagram explains it fairly well though. The baffles are nothing but glass window panes cut to the size you need. Just ask someone in Lowes where the glass cutting station is.

You are going to need roughly:

For Return:
-1 stick of 3/4" PVC schedule 40 pipe
-5 -90deg 3/4" PVC fittings
-2 -3/4" couplings
-1 -3/4" Ball Valve
-1 -3/4" True Union (Slip)
-1 -threaded --> slip 3/4" coupling (threaded side must fit pump)

For Overflow:
-1 stick of 1 1/4" PVC Pipe
-4 or 5 90deg 1 1/4" fittings
-1 -1 1/4" Ball Valve

I'm just curious but the plastic tank dividers would those work for baffles the same way as the glass baffles? haha you gave me that list of pvc and ball joints but ho to they all fit together? Is it common sence once I get the stuff or am I going to need some help?

Thanks,
-Kevin

How much space should I put under the second baffle? 2 in.? I will have to see how my skimmer is going to fit...I might have to get a HOB BakPak 2r+ so I can have space for the mag 7.

Thanks,
-Kevin

ho to they all fit together?
Refer to the drawing I posted on page 1. The valves and Unions are color coded. As far as the pipe routing and 90's you will just have to do what fits your situation.

How much space should I put under the second baffle? 2 in.?
2 inches is perfect. Also leave 2" or 1 1/2" between the baffles.

so I can have space for the mag 7.
You could mount the skimmer pump externally like on my drawing to feed the skimmer. You will need to 'T' a line from the overflow of the tank to feed it.

Now what type of lighting should I put over the tank? At the one place I most likely will order from (can't name names might get in trouble) has MH pendants There is a 150w, 250w, and a 400w mongal. the 150 and 250 have 10000k double end MH and the 400w is a screw in mongal. If I mount one in the middle of my 55 would this give enough light for SPS, LPS, Softies, Clams, Zoos, and basically any coral? Which one should I pick?

Thanks,
-Kevin

Back