New but not New?

You would be better off with two fixtures b/c of the length of your tank. You could add them one at a time if necessary. If you go with one I would suggest a 400w at least 15 inches off the water with a good Lumenarc style reflector. If you go with two I would suggest dual 175w with lumenarc style reflectors about 8 inches off the water.

The 175's will be better on electricity so that might be something to mention to your dad during purchase.

What would be the cheapest way to go about my lights that will be able to give enough light to SPS and anemones? Should I get a could of retrofits and get two 175w? How much did your lighting system cost?

Thanks,
-Kevin

Well, judging by your knowledge I would not suggest that you try to hook up a MH retro kit. If you mess up the plumbing, the floor gets wet. You mess up the wiring, you get electrocuted, the house burns down and other bad stuff.

So unless you know an electrician that would be willing to hook up the system for you I would suggest that you just stick with the 'out of the box' systems. Even with retro kits you will still have close to $200 in each light. So there's really not that much difference.

well the pendants I was looking at were $229 for the 250w I think I will go with one of them at first than upgrade to another 150 or 250. Does this should good?

Thanks,
-Kevin

If you just want softies for now they will grow fine under normal flourescent light fixtures with reef bulbs. You can get a flourescent 4' shop light at Walmart for under $10. The bulbs will be $20+/- each and you will need two but it will get you by while you save for the MH's.

I would suggest one 50/50 bulb and one Actinic bulb.

Back