New clown fish has ich.

Bought a baby percula clown today and like an idiot didn't have a QT tank set up for him. :headwalls: After watching him swim around for a few hours I noticed he has a few specks of ich--not a full-blown, life-or-death infection, but he has it.
The only other fish in my tank is a purple fire fish. My question is if I get a quarantine tank set up by tomorrow if I could just quarantine the clown, or if my whole tank is lost and I need to quarantine both of them and leave my DT fallow for the prescribed six weeks?

I'm feeding pellets and frozen soaked in garlic to hopefully keep their immune systems up. And planning on setting up a ten gallon QT and buying ich treatment tomorrow.

Any help is much appreciated.

The only other fish in my tank is a purple fire fish. My question is if I get a quarantine tank set up by tomorrow if I could just quarantine the clown, or if my whole tank is lost and I need to quarantine both of them and leave my DT fallow for the prescribed six weeks?

First, are you positive it's Ich? Clownfish are susceptible to a protozoan called Brooklynella; I would research that as treatment for Brook differs from s/w Ich. Post pics if you can.

The "right" way to do it would be to remove both fish and qt while leaving tank empty. Once ich is in the tank you have to consider everything infected.

HumbleFish, it's definitely ich, very defined and slightly raised white cysts about the size of a salt grain as opposed to the more cloudy patches seen with brooklynella (looks like nasty stuff). I got the clown set up at around three today in his QT, could not get the fire fish though without destroying my tank. Any time I even put the net in the water he would disappear in a puff of sand. I'm just praying to the reef gods that he won't get it and the tank isn't infected. I'm still trying, but he's incredibly fast, I have them both on garlic soaked frozen and pellet foods, and the clown is getting copper treatment and a very slow hyposalinity treatment. Thanks for the help guys.

Unless you can get the firefish out (or he dies) and leave the DT fallow for 10 weeks, your tank won't ever be "Ich free". BTW, no need to combine copper & hypo treatments; one or the other is sufficient. But I would look into this method first - small fish make excellent candidates! I would opt for copper as your backup plan. Good luck!

Back