New Crab Meets Sump

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Found a new crab (I’m assuming hitchhiker from my live rock). No clue on the ID but he’s been sumped just in case
E9D3B2B4-9AD0-4C90-B997-72ED71E9B66C.jpeg
6BDC7BF8-E65A-41CD-922A-B17D2D4BB29F.jpeg
795F1CDD-DD0A-4EBF-8940-4819E88E61A1.jpeg

He was found in the sand bed. I’m almost thinking not a bad guy as none of my corals or fish or other inverts have suffered but sumped none the less

Search for "gorilla crab." Definitely a sump candidate, as they will go after fish as they get bigger.

Kevin

I was thinking gorilla but just not used to seeing the color and non black claws.

Yeah, the term gorilla crab covers a bunch of different species of Xanthidae crabs. Most of the ones we see in our aquariums are mud brown, but some can be more brightly colored.

Kevin

Yea. He came in on some Florida rock and likely blended due to coloration

That’s more what I was anticipating. So it’s likely just a different species

Look closely at the tips of the claws. Mithrax crabs, which include emrald crabs which have smooth carapace similar to yours, will have flat tips for scraping algae off rocks. Gorilla crabs claws are designed for holding onto live prey and protecting themselves from other gorilla crabs and will have pointed tips.

Richard sent him to me. After catching him I set up a small tank for him. It was fun putting shrimp on a skewer and watching him pulling and yanking on it.

Back