New Eheim pump priming difficulty

Red Cahill

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum.

I have a 22g M-tank. I just bought an Eheim 1260 pump for it rated at 635gph. I'm having trouble getting it to prime.

It has a 1" input and a 3/4" output. I used 1" tubing for the intake and I'm wondering if that may be the problem. The pump is external and it sits about 2.5 feet below the water line. The output is 3/4" hose that tees into two 1/2" hoses. I got it to work once by plugging one of those outlets and sucking on the other one while powering the pump on and off a few times. This is definitely not practical. I can't pull on it long enough to fill the intake hose before I'm drinking saltwater. Am I missing something? The manual doesn't say much except that the pump has to be primed. Yeah I know but HOW?

I feel like a smaller diameter intake hose could help (maybe 3/4") but I wonder if that would affect the pump's performance. Also, I wonder if a check valve on the intake would work? If somebody has a clue for me before I go back to the hardware store I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW-- The one time I got it going, the water level in the tank rose an inch from the usual spot leaving me with a half inch at the top! That was awesome.

How is the intake connected? Straight through a bulkhead? Why do you need to fill the intake hose? The pump can not draw water to the intake. It must be a flooded intake.

1" strainer connected to 1" hose connected to 1" intake. Flooded intake?

Maybe I need to be directed to a primer on plumbing.

Flooded intake means the intake has water in it without the pump needing to pull water in. The intake of the pump must be below water level. Can you post a pic?

I will try to sketch a diagram and post it tomorrow if I'm still having trouble. In the meantime I'm doing some reading. I now know that you're not supposed to ever reduce the intake. So that's out. I'm still wondering about using a check valve somewhere to prevent back-siphoning. Just not sure about it.

Thanks for your time.

The hose or piping needs to have water in it, or the pump will suck air... i think that's what he means.

Back