New fish died overnight

i agree with all but one of the fellow reefers above...

The whole magnesium and semi chemistry lesson should be for a later date with a brand now tank. New person to the hobby.
What stood out is you said you bought crushed coral but decided to use gravel instead.
Is this right..
You need araganite sand in the bottom of the tank. Its the best environment for a marine tank.
Then get a test kit to test ammonia nitrite and nitrate.. Phosphate

you need to 0 ammonia and nitrite readings then feed the tank some ammonia and make the ammonia spike.. Wait 24 hours and test for ammonia. If its gone and you have met all of the requirements in the new tank stickies. Your fish will live and be healthy...

Liqudg.. Not trying to start another chemistry tank war with you. But please re read your post above and think about if you were new to the hobby.... For someone new we just need to get there tank cycled stable and supporting life.. Not shock them with a chemistry lesson.... I do know your way works for you but it confuses the rest of us.....
Thank you for understanding...
+1

Gravel = Calcite?

Gravel = Calcite?

I Agree with all but one of the fellow reefers above...

The whole magnesium and semi chemistry lesson should be for a later date with a brand now tank. New Person to the hobby.
What stood out is you said you bought crushed coral but decided to use GRAVEL INSTEAD.
is this right..
You need Araganite sand in the bottom of the tank. Its the best environment for a marine tank.
Then get a test kit to test Ammonia nitrite and Nitrate.. Phosphate ...

Thanks again everyone for the tips really learned a lot here... Just wanted to confirm the Gravel thing. I checked the bag it came in, yes it is Gravel but they also refer to it as Calcite on the bag full name on the bag "Calcite substrate" . I dunno if that's a fancy word for gravel? Its got some chunks that look like small rock candy but it's also got alot of "sand" in the bag. I do also have some crushed coral but every article and post I saw said that crushed coral is the work of The Devil.

I did take some time today to go through the stickies. Lots of good info. Suffice it to say I have a lot of changes to make.
:celeb1:

For substrate most folks use Aragonite sand. It should say aragonite on the bag. The grain size is up to you, but I will say the finer the grain the more it has a tendency to blow around.

Typically there are 2 options for the sand dry sand and live sand. Dry sand is basically dry to damp and is the cheaper of the two options. Dry sand must be rinsed off very very good to get out all of the "dust". Live sand is wet and is supposed to have beneficial bacteria in the sand. In my area it costs about twice as much as dry sand. IMO it is a waste of money. Good luck

What was your exact acclimation method? Sounds to me like this could be salinity shock, coupled with low oxygen and high ammonia exposure during acclimation.
test the salinity of the lfs water in the bag and drop an air stone in it to keep oxygen levels up. As soon as you open the bag, ammonia is beginnin to build rapidly so the goal is to get the out asap.
I usually get a steady drip of dt water going, about 2-4 drips a second, let the water double then dump most out, let that again more than double, then duMP most of that water out, and then let the water more than double again.
by this time, about 45 minutes should have gone by and the fish are now in mostly, if not all, of your water. Pull the fish out and drop them in the dt, of course if your are not QTing.
just my 2 cents.

I have herd of the calcite you got, its supposed to be quite good for stabilizing calcium and maintaining good KH which of course will help your PH.
Do you know which brand it was?
What lucky lefty typed is quite true,when adding fish to the aquarium the PH on their gills in the bags water is completely different to the PH in your aquarium, from this if not done right can have serious affects to your fishes gills!
Get your testing organised for ammonia, nitrite and PH, they are important to know how your tank is responding to them.
PLus if the shop did not add oxygen, "they would have" and if they did not add something like ammo lock then after a half hour in that bag the fish is being damaged seriously.
For new reefers I always say to them take in your own ammo lock and make them add it for the drive home.
Plus never let that bag get hot like in the sun or what ever.

Last edited:
Brand of Calcite and acclimation method

Brand of Calcite and acclimation method

Hello again all,

Let my start by saying that I am very thankful for the amount of responses and help everyone gave me. To answer a couple of questions posted earlier:

1. Brand of Calcite: The product is produced by Seachem "natural Calcite substrate"

2. Acclimation method: From what you described, clearly I did it the wrong way. To keep it short, I left the bag open for too long and added waaaay too much tank water too quickly and let the store and tank water mix. So yea.... :headwalls:

Listen to SK8ER!!!!

Listen to SK8ER!!!!

Do you have access to a LFS or established tank to house your inverts? I have made the same mistakes you described earlier! Complete a natural cycle, and use the 72 days to go over all the info on here! Get a good test kit and have your water tested at lfs. This acts as a second check on your results. Dont believe the hype on crazy chemical computations, your tank is small enouph to get established, and healthy on WC's with good salt. RO/DI!!!!! Bottled water contains a crapload of added chemicals to enhance taste! I have seen fijiwater added to a beta tank, kill a healthy fish in less than 3 hours. Stability is the key here. Read up as well. I used reef invertebrates by bob fenner and anthony calfo as a bible on my 90 and it paid off bigtime. Good luck and keep posting, we would love to see your tank as you live and learn!

Back