New fish in DT not eating

krs1102

I have a coral beauty angel that just made it through our QT on Monday. He was ready to come to the DT. In QT he was a pig- ate lots of flakes and mysis.

In the DT we have 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 banggai cardinals, and an orchid dottyback. It is a 125 gallon tank and he is the largest of the inhabitants.

Tuesday morning the CB angel ate flakes really well. The last three feedings have not gone as well. He was out and about during them but did not approach any of the food. He does hide quite a bit in this tank. I have not seen the other fish picking on him (they seem to be afraid of him though) but they have done a bit of group intimidation approaching him together.

Every evening, he comes out and swims around the other fish for 2-3 hours (perhaps he does this throughout the day as well, but I'm not home to see). The dottyback definitely is spooked when he is around, but the dottyback is eating just fine.

I believe that this could be within range of the normal behavior for a new fish in a tank with other inhabitants and to give it time, but I am curious if there are other suggestions and at what point we should start to be concerned. Should I try and bait him with tastier foods? I just ran out of brine, but plan to pick some up very soon.

Thanks in advance.

If he was eating in the QT, he will eat again in the display... I've found almost every fish I've introduced to my DT takes a bit to settle in and start eating. They have to learn their place in the pecking order and find their footing first.

Thanks for the reassurance. I expected him to be near the top of the chain here and the others are definitely scared of him, which I think is stressing him out. Fingers crossed....

As others have said, he SHOULD get back onto the swing of things. The move likely just has him a bit stressed with the change of environment and likely change in water chemistry.

I WOULD still encourage you to keep trying different strategies to get him eating again though. The sooner you can entice him back into eating the better.

There are dietary supplements made by people like aquaforest that contain garlic which is reported by many people to enhance appetite. You can try soaking your regular feeds in the supplements before giving them.

https://aquaforest.eu/en/product/garlic-oil/

I've had a lot of luck in the past with finicky feeders using a product called masstick. You mix it in a 2:1 ratio with water and create a "mush" which you can stick to glass or the rock for fish to nibble on. Fish seem to love the stuff and seeing as dwarf angels generally spend a lot of time picking at the rocks, its very likely that your angel will be curious enough to at least try it if you stick it to his favourite grazing spot.

http://www.easyreefs.com/en/masstick_en.html

As others have said, he SHOULD get back onto the swing of things. The move likely just has him a bit stressed with the change of environment and likely change in water chemistry.

I WOULD still encourage you to keep trying different strategies to get him eating again though. The sooner you can entice him back into eating the better.

There are dietary supplements made by people like aquaforest that contain garlic which is reported by many people to enhance appetite. You can try soaking your regular feeds in the supplements before giving them.

https://aquaforest.eu/en/product/garlic-oil/

I've had a lot of luck in the past with finicky feeders using a product called masstick. You mix it in a 2:1 ratio with water and create a "mush" which you can stick to glass or the rock for fish to nibble on. Fish seem to love the stuff and seeing as dwarf angels generally spend a lot of time picking at the rocks, its very likely that your angel will be curious enough to at least try it if you stick it to his favourite grazing spot.

http://www.easyreefs.com/en/masstick_en.html

I actually picked up some flakes that have garlic in them today. Will be trying those for a few days. Ordered some masstick as well and will try that when it arrives Saturday. Hopefully by then I won't need it, but better to be prepared. Thanks for the suggestions.

He was out tonight hanging out with the other fish, but didn't eat any food. Fingers crossed.....

I actually picked up some flakes that have garlic in them today. Will be trying those for a few days. Ordered some masstick as well and will try that when it arrives Saturday. Hopefully by then I won't need it, but better to be prepared. Thanks for the suggestions.

He was out tonight hanging out with the other fish, but didn't eat any food. Fingers crossed.....

Keep us updated on how things go :thumbsup:

OH! and I forgot one thing. Live brine shrimp. Not many fish can resist chasing the little buggers around.

Keep us updated on how things go :thumbsup:

OH! and I forgot one thing. Live brine shrimp. Not many fish can resist chasing the little buggers around.

Will do. He has been out quite a bit more today and is definitely doing whatever he can to intimidate the orchid dottyback. He keeps going to the front of the dottyback's cave and blocking it (both while the dottyback is in there and when he isn't). It is just so surprising to me that the dottyback is eating well still and the CB isn't (given that he is the one picking on another fish).

For live brine shrimp, those have to be hatched at home, right?

Will do. He has been out quite a bit more today and is definitely doing whatever he can to intimidate the orchid dottyback. He keeps going to the front of the dottyback's cave and blocking it (both while the dottyback is in there and when he isn't). It is just so surprising to me that the dottyback is eating well still and the CB isn't (given that he is the one picking on another fish).

For live brine shrimp, those have to be hatched at home, right?

Nop. Lots of aquariums sell them in little bags. Get google to give you a list of aquariums around you and then give them a call to see if they sell live brine shrimp/artemia.

Female Banggai died today- wasn't really watching them closely because I hadn't seen any trouble between them and anyone, and I was so focused on the dottyback-CB angel interaction. Really bummed.

Back