New fuge ?'s

Southern Boy

Ijust got my 1st fuge going on my new 180. I stuffed it in the stand while I had the tank off. It is approx. 75 gallons total with 40 gallons of it being a fuge. I have a mag 24 for the return which has a strong flow but mostly over the top of the fuge. Ther is little current at the bottom.It's 48" long, 20" high, and 18" deep. I have approx 12 pounds LR rubble in the 1st baffle after the drain section. I have a little rubble in the fuge and will put more in there as soon as 1 of my LFS's has some. I have 2 4200K 30 flourecents on top of it as of now. I am changing 1 of those to a 6700K as soon as it's in. I have 2 kinds of macro's as of now. 1 is chateo and the other I'm not sure of.Now to the?'s, do I need to put 2 6700's in and lose the 4200, do I need a powerhead for more circulation at the bottom, and is it safe to have 2 macros together at the same time? And can someone identify the other?Thanks!!!
DSCF0119.jpg
url]
url]
url]

I cant tell what the other is from the images I see (just the first one listed, the rest are non functioning links for me). It does look like it could be a Caulerpa species - at least I think I see the runners characteristic of that genus.

The two 4200K lights might be more than fine for the growth of these plants. I wouldnt rush out to replace one or both with 6700K before you give them a chance to grow in the light you already have. No need to waste the bulbs if they work, since this doesnt have to be the most aesthetically pleasing section of the tank.

Strong flow is important for a good refugium, but it wont become crucial until you have more algae biomass. You may eventually want to add a powerhead to improve circulation, but lots of people get by with simply making sure their algae is pruned back and that all the surfaces get even access to light and good water flow.

>Sarah

Back