New G. smithii and other pictures

hikarishadow

Hi,
I set up a tank for my room mate in September using a standard AGA 10 gallon that I ripped the rims off. We just added the tank's main inhabitant: an itty bitty little female G. smithii! I'd guess she's almost two inches. The funny thing is that the first day we had her in the tank, she was out and about exploring like crazy. Since then (two days) she's been hiding, showing little more than her eyes from the burrow. Is this normal for a smithii? My peacock was the opposite when I first got her (shy first, then social).
Anyway, here's the full tank:
DSCF4154copy2.jpg

And the only two pictures I've been able to catch (dead batteries the first day):
DSCF4080copy2.jpg

DSCF4162copy2.jpg

Tank runs a biowheel filter, stealth heater, and normal output T5 lights. I'm very open to suggestions if you have any for an improvement.

And here are a few new pictures of my peacock Ally:
DSCF4106copy2.jpg

DSCF4090copy2.jpg

DSCF4062copy2.jpg

Hi,
I set up a tank for my room mate in September using a standard AGA 10 gallon that I ripped the rims off...
Tank decor looks very good! Mantis should come out more as it relaxes in new home. Thought plastic rimmed tanks required their frames to withstand water pressure and that you needed thicker glass, etc. for a rimless. Would be bad if tank has a catastrophic failure and your friend ends with a flood and maybe loose the Mantis.

Tank decor looks very good! Mantis should come out more as it relaxes in new home. Thought plastic rimmed tanks required their frames to withstand water pressure and that you needed thicker glass, etc. for a rimless. Would be bad if tank has a catastrophic failure and your friend ends with a flood and maybe loose the Mantis.

Thanks for the compliment!

I actually did quite a bit of research on the topic of rims on regular AGA tanks. I talked to the owner the LFS here (where my boyfriend works) and he said with quite a bit of surety that unless a tank has a reinforcing bar across the middle, the rims are not necessary for structural integrity. The upper rim protects the glass from being hit on top edge where it's most weak, and you do have to protect the bottom from being scored, so I use a layer of felt underneath. We have an ADA 90P rimless planted tank and even it bows out more in the middle! It has "high tech" silicone which allows the seams to be so small.

Back