New Guy... Help-Ideas!

Littlejon

Hey all! My name is Jon, Been in and out of the hobby for years, although I am only 28.. Anyway, Right now i have a 3yr old 65g Saltwater and a 30ish gallon Fresh! For the last year or so I have been wanting to upgrade my Saltwater to something bigger, and boy did I! Scored a 210 gallon with end overflows, stand, and a few misc parts for 250$!! Could not pass it up! Fast forward from three weeks ago, to today. Had the local fish guys come and deliver 200 or so gallons of already mixed saltwater. Since three weeks ago, I have added-- Aqueon ProFlex Model 4, 2x Rio 12HF, Vertex IN180 Skimmer, 80 pounds of Carib Seafloor Sand, 50 pounds of FIJI live (Looks like i got a few hitch hikers -- baby brittle popped up on the glass as im typing this!!)

What do you guys think?? Im using 2 MH 175 10k right now for light, Need ideas there..

Also using two 48" Blue..

Using a old heater, Need more, Maybe two small??

Ideas? Thoughts?? Likes- Dislikes? I need some input, all i have is our hobby shop.. And it seems like all they see me as is $$!!

Thanks guys and gals!

lights seem enough
heater i would go ahead and get a new one thermostats go out on those things all the time
pics would help?

As it sat this A.M.

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

Filling

IMAG0292.jpg

Filled

IMAG0293.jpg

With MH on- looks like they are diffferent, but both are 10k

IMAG0299.jpg

Last one-- WHAT AM I?? That was the box that the live rock was in- Baby brittle star right?

IMAG0296.jpg

Don't know your long term plans, so you may have this covered. Anyway, if I were you, I'd lose the glass covers and get the MH up in the air. What you have now is an oven full of water. If I can ask, what part of the country do you live in? Down where I live you would have a 1hp chiller working hard to keep that cool. Maybe you keep your house cool enough to maintain a cool tank temp. Have you checked the water temp? And how long are you running the MH? I'm sure this is all just stuff you understand, but some others may see what you have in your photos and ...

BTW, GREAT deal and awesome looking tank. I paid $200 for my 180g and it was a bit rough and no stand.

For sure, the lights are temporary, I plan to do a canopy soon... The temp right now is 69.8, haven't tested anything whatsoever. I live in Western Colorado... Thanks for the help guys!

What the hell is with these threads lately...One guy gets a 120g for $150 bucks, you got this tank for $250, I'm seeing them daily. Why aren't there any deals like this in my area??? lol

congrats on your new setup.

Yeah if they had them for deals like that around me i would have to find a place in my bedroom to stuff a tank. Like the closet... lol

Nick

Congrats - what a deal. It looks like it's in such great shape too! Please keep us posted with pics - very interesting start ;)

Well, got some time to update.. Since it was up and running, I've added a few things..

2 mp40w
2 AI sol, more to come
Some livestock... pics soon...

looking great!
I thought i scored when i got my 125g and 2 eheim pro3 filters for 375... u got a heck of a deal! :)

Sounds like you scored pretty good! Just something to keep in mind, if you want full light coverage, might add another light to the middle. I would get rid of the glass tops and do a hood, keep heat down. Looks great so far.

Looks like there is a rhyme to your reason, keep up the great work and watch the big 3 chems.

Good job!

Thanks guys, yeah, plan on at least 2 more... just gotta do it in parts. Also going to add the apex controller.. heat is not bad at all, almost need to keep lids on, heat in because its right by a slider door...

Back