New hobbyist again 28 Gal CF-Quad Nano Cube… Help!

JJIM

I am looking to buy a Nano Cube CF-Quad 28 Gallon for the purpose of getting a small reef tank going. Roughly 10 years ago I was in the marine and reef realm (3 years exp. w/ 135 gal tank), but since have forgotten most all of what little I knew. Some basic questions are in order, and I am hoping that I can get some solid info to get me up and going again.

1.) Is the 28 gallon Nano Cube CF sufficient to sustain the corals I am looking at buying? I am looking at mostly getting soft corals such as leather toadstool, leather fingers, zoos polyps, and xenia's, (maybe a frogspawn, candycane, or hammer)? Could I venture into the stonys' if I desire?
2.) What are some of the basic things I will need to get up and running? Currently, here is what I am looking at buying with the tank:
"¢ 40 lbs of live rock
"¢ Roughly 2 inches of sand for base (live?)
"¢ Reef supplements (might need direction here again)
"¢ What controllers must I have vs. should I also consider? (pH, salinity, nitrate, oxygen) Is there ones that measures several elements of the tank water conditions?
"¢ What protein skimmer is recommended?
"¢ Heater of some sort (suggestions)?
"¢ Anything else?
3. Does the filtration system of this like the Bio Cube allow me to replace bioballs w/ live rock rubble? Is there any additional filtration that I need?
4. Any recommended places to make purchases for fish, corrals, supplies online? I currently live in Lawrence, KS and there is not much variability for saltwater enthusiasts.

Thank you all for your help, I am really excited to get a tank up and running again after my 10 year sabbatical =)!!!

I will try to answer what I can.

You could try frogspawns and hammers, but they may eventually kill some other corals in that small a space.

40lbs of live rock might be a little much. It is a small amount of water volume and you don't want to fill all of it with rock.

Don't do 2 inches of sand. Either do an inch or less or something like 4-6" for a DSB. Buying the live stuff from the store is pointless.

You really don't NEED any controllers at all. You can test for the NO2 NO3 and ammonia early on, but I don't anyone who tests those when things are running fine. Can get a refractometer pretty cheap to measure salinity. Same with PH. You can test to make sure everything is fine but I don't see a need to do it with a controller. Just my opinion here though.

Heaters, I would suggest a non glass kind. Two undersized ones are best in case one runs away, but that might be hard to find for 28 gallons.

I would just start off getting the sand, rock, heater, nano skimmer for the tank and let it cycle and read. There is a lot of information on things you can do with a lot of opinions on what is best.

1.) Is the 28 gallon Nano Cube CF sufficient to sustain the corals I am looking at buying? I am looking at mostly getting soft corals such as leather toadstool, leather fingers, zoos polyps, and xenia’s, (maybe a frogspawn, candycane, or hammer)? Could I venture into the stonys’ if I desire?
*It should be perfect for anything but stonies (I assume you mean SPS), I am setting mine up for Softies and LPS.

2.) What are some of the basic things I will need to get up and running? Currently, here is what I am looking at buying with the tank:
• 40 lbs of live rock
• Roughly 2 inches of sand for base (live?)
• Reef supplements (might need direction here again)
• What controllers must I have vs. should I also consider? (pH, salinity, nitrate, oxygen) Is there ones that measures several elements of the tank water conditions?
• What protein skimmer is recommended?
• Heater of some sort (suggestions)?
• Anything else?

*I would get 2x 75w Stealth heaters and have one in each return compartment. You don't NEED a controller be any means. Just get a good thermometer, Hydrometer and a few *good* test kits (Calc, Nitrate, etc...). Protein skimmer won't be necessary as long as you keep up with regular WC's. If you do get one, get the Sapphire Aquatics, I have heard great things about it. I would replace the stock return pumps with Maxi-jets (I went with 900's, most people do 1200's). You may also need a small Koralia in additon (Nano or #1).
3. Does the filtration system of this like the Bio Cube allow me to replace bioballs w/ live rock rubble? Is there any additional filtration that I need?
*I just left the sponge on top and put chaeto in the bottom two compartments and velcro'ed a Coralife aqualight mini over the chaeto.
4. Any recommended places to make purchases for fish, corrals, supplies online? I currently live in Lawrence, KS and there is not much variability for saltwater enthusiasts.
*Liveaquaria, Reefhotspot, Blue Zoo are my favs.

Last edited:
Thank you both for giving me the necessary ideas to move forward, although I am now looking at the 28 nano LED =). Great suggestions, thanks!

I have that same tank change out the stock pumps with mj1200 add a refuge to the center compartment

I bought the 28 Nano LED. When you say add the refuge to the center compartment, do you mean add some rubble and chaeto w/ light? Forgive my ignorance....still learning and trying to remember all in one!

are the current pumps on the nano 28 no good? I have seen a several ppl post on the upgrade to the 1200... thanks!

are the current pumps on the nano 28 no good? I have seen a several ppl post on the upgrade to the 1200... thanks!

^This. I always see people recommending changing the pumps. Whats wrong with the stock? Would it be ok to stick to it?

any responders please on why many people mention the 28 nano cube pumps to be changed. Are the just basic entry level ones that are junk? Several mention the MJ 1200 for some reason?

any responders please on why many people mention the 28 nano cube pumps to be changed. Are the just basic entry level ones that are junk? Several mention the MJ 1200 for some reason?

not sure about the stock pumps.

maxijet 1200s are good powerheads/pumps though.

I replaced the stock pumps with MJ900's because they use about half the watts and push slightly more water than the stock pumps. I think most people use the 1200's because they push ALOT more water.

As far as the 'fuge goes I have mine setup where I left the sponge in the top compartment and put chaeto in the bottom two comparments. For lighting I bought some heavy duty velcro from the sewing section of Wal-mart and velcroed this light:
http://www.marineandreef.com/Mini_Freshwater_Aqualight_9_inch_Coralife_p/res53122.htm (I am only using one bulb) over the two compartments containing the chaeto.

Thanks, that helps. Those are two areas of the tank that were still in question for me.

Insofar as the fuge goes, do not set it up until my cycle is finished correct? Then the set-up if using chaeto do I use live rubble rock in there as well? Also, where does my Tunze Nano 9002 skimmer go? You all are helping immensely =).

Thanks, that helps. Those are two areas of the tank that were still in question for me.

Insofar as the fuge goes, do not set it up until my cycle is finished correct? Then the set-up if using chaeto do I use live rubble rock in there as well? Also, where does my Tunze Nano 9002 skimmer go? You all are helping immensely =).

I missed the fact that you are using the Tunze skimmer. AFAIK, if you are going to use the skimmer you won't be able to use the basket since the Tunze has to go in the middle compartment.

One other thing I would recommend for your tank is some kind of media reactor with phosphate remover and some carbon. This one below would probably be the easiest and cheapest:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SA-NMR&Category_Code=

And then just fill it with a little of this:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/1-pound-453-grams-bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide.html

And this:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/1-5-pounds-half-gallon-bulk-lignite-aquarium-carbon-1.html

I am getting my 28 cube this Friday, but want to have all details ironed out. So if my Tunze skimmer goes in middle chamber, where does my other filtration go? Also, where would this media reactor with phosphate and 2 heaters I have go?

Do you still think that I should set up a CPR HOB fuge with chaeto as I cannot support a second tank underneath etc.

I am getting my 28 cube this Friday, but want to have all details ironed out. So if my Tunze skimmer goes in middle chamber, where does my other filtration go? Also, where would this media reactor with phosphate and 2 heaters I have go?

Do you still think that I should set up a CPR HOB fuge with chaeto as I cannot support a second tank underneath etc.

If you look at the back of the tank once you get it, you will see there are 5 chambers which I will label A-B-C-D-E.

A - Return pump and heater
B - nothing in mine, you could put the media reactor here
C - Return water, Skimmer
D - nothing in mine, you could put the media reactor here
E - Return pump and 2nd heater

If you want to the the HOB fuge that wouldn't hurt but I'm not sure its really necessary if you have the skimmer/media reactor.

I have not gotten my 28 Nano Cube set up and looking for additional filtration methods. As you noted Axia55, there are 5 chambers in the back of the cube, but I am wondering if the two chambers you mentioned (B and D)could house the media reactor. In looking at it, the only chamber of any size is the middle (C) one. And if so, is the one that you mentioned (link provided) able to fit in these B and D chambers? I am guessing that you may have it in yours, or if anyone else can help that would be wonderful. Thanks again....

I have not gotten my 28 Nano Cube set up and looking for additional filtration methods. As you noted Axia55, there are 5 chambers in the back of the cube, but I am wondering if the two chambers you mentioned (B and D)could house the media reactor. In looking at it, the only chamber of any size is the middle (C) one. And if so, is the one that you mentioned (link provided) able to fit in these B and D chambers? I am guessing that you may have it in yours, or if anyone else can help that would be wonderful. Thanks again....

I don't have the sapphire myself, but I asked a few people who used it in their NC28 and they confirmed that it would fit in chambers B and D.

What are the advantages v. disadvantages to using a media reactor vs. the HOB fuge (cost/value, long term usage, maintenance, etc.). I am looking to buy one of the two, or can both be utilized simultaneously?

Crease, I really like the lighting on the tank. Though I am not an expert by any means as I have just gotten back into saltwater after a 8-9 year hiatus. From what I have read and seen on this forum in other posts it is comparable to the MH without the heat and the LED lasts much longer (but costs more initially). Thus far I am very pleased with the tank, but the tank stand is rather generic IMO.

Back