New hobbyist/tank

carpio1991

Okay I'm giving this one more chance. I've made this post twice, and twice this post has not posted >_<

Anyway, hey guys! New tank, new hobbyist. I set up my tank about 2 weeks ago and added live rock yesterday. I had 6 hitch hikers! 2 turbo snails and 4 emerald crabs. I returned 2 of the emerald crabs to the store and I am still trying to even find where the other 2 went. I hear no crab is good so I want them out lol. I have a 55 gallon, a seaclone 100 (putting on tomorrow), And 2 circulation pumps. Should I upgrade the pumps to power heads? The pumps are definitely leaving no dead spots currently. Second question, any cool ideas for my aquascaping? I think it looks cool as it is, but if you guys have any ideas, throw them at me!!! Any suggestions or tips would be good from you guys. I plan on making this a fish only tank until I add maybe a hardy anemone or two in the future. So like I said, any and all tips/suggestions/ideas are welcome here! Including what nice fish addition I should have later when the cycle settles.

Thanks,
Luis

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1
Maybe make two island towers with some open space in the middle. Maybe make one island taller than the other. Make sure there is space behind the rocks and also caves. I wouldnt worry too much about the emerald crabs.

And lots of corals a lot more hardy and easier than anemones. I would take a flat-ish rock and put it on the sand bed away from the other rocks and put some gsp (green star polyps). Its like a weed, cheap (people will be happy to give you some for free), and very forgiving. Will start you down the path of corals

If the sea clone is still in the box, you should return it. The circulation mode on those maxi-jets move more water than the powerhead mode so I would leave it as is. As far as aquascaping its really a matter of personal preference but you should be able to have water flow around them so maybe spread them out a little bit and see what suits your fancy.

And most of all, welcome to Reef Central!

Thing is I had a super skimmer 65 from coralife and after reading reviews and trying it for myself it sucked. Plus I have no receipt so I only had store credit at petco. That's all they have. I don't want to lose the money. I never go to petco. So I'll have $100 to a store I don't go to. I read the reviews for the seaclone and they weren't all that great, but better than the coralife. I plan on upgrading, so I might as well just use this one in the meantime. There's a gap small, but big enough for water to flow through almost every rock. Including the back. And thanks :) you guys seem muchore knowledgable and quicker than the bunch at thereeftank. People there never replied and when they did, they never actually answered my questions.

And thanks for the reply Chicago, just noticed you replied. Yea I wanna make some sort of cave like you said but I am so terrified that something will shift the rock or sand and knock it down and bust my glass :s

Are corals really easier? I was under the impression that anemone is easier. Is it ok to add an anime and a few coral? I want a clown and would like him to have a host.

I have used both the coral life super skimmer and the sea clone... if you thought the super skimmer was bad you are in for a treat.

Dang >_< will it at least get the job done with a fish only tank for a few months?

I used it for a 2 months as my first skimmer... It never actually filled the cup in that time... It is very difficult to "tune" and the highest I could ever get the water was still below the neck of the cup... I tried a lot of different suggestions because I did not want to waste the money just like you but it never actually started working. I know a skimmer requires a break in period but it obviously had larger flaws... Just giving you a heads up. I am actually still using the super skimmer 220 on my 70 gallon and it has worked well for me ( I made some mods to it).

New hobbyist/tank

Your welcome, also this was about 4 years ago or so... They may have fixed the issues but I doubt it.

Green star polyps are a type of soft coral... They are hardy and grow easy and some have completely taken over tanks. Proper placement and "pruning" is important to make sure they don't kill off other corals.

Your aquascrape is going to cause you issues in the future. I had a 55 for years, the problem with them. They have a narrow footprint, so you don't want to stack against the back wall. Unless, you have a powerhead angled at the back wall. You are going to have multiple dead spots. Glass cleaning is out of the question, also. Two island with a bridge will help in the long run. FYI, anemones will have to wait. They have a better survival rate in a well established tank. And, the don't have to be added at the same time as a clown. Mother Nature will handle the hosting. Good luck.

Thing is I had a super skimmer 65 from coralife and after reading reviews and trying it for myself it sucked. Plus I have no receipt so I only had store credit at petco. That's all they have. I don't want to lose the money. I never go to petco. So I'll have $100 to a store I don't go to. I read the reviews for the seaclone and they weren't all that great, but better than the coralife. I plan on upgrading, so I might as well just use this one in the meantime. There's a gap small, but big enough for water to flow through almost every rock. Including the back. And thanks :) you guys seem muchore knowledgable and quicker than the bunch at thereeftank. People there never replied and when they did, they never actually answered my questions.

They sell salt at petco. Just pick up some salt your gonna need it.

And thanks for the info guys. I'll hold off on anything but fish until I research them more. How are green star polyps in semi new water?

Any of you guys try that rock and anemone glue? I want to aquascape my rocks nicely but I'm scared it'll tumble and crack my tank.

Ok so this coralline algae is taking over my rocks so much and so quickly that even my snail has it lol. Is this good!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1
Back