New house!!

intyme

Just bought a new house!! We are so excited... Now the anxiety of moving my tank! I'm looking all over on here to get bits and pieces of knowing what to do/expect. Any inputs would be appreciated

Thanks

My 10g and I survived a move by disconnecting all of the electronic components, emptying about 70% of the water out, putting the corals onto the sand bed so they were underwater, and putting it into a rubbermaid container in the back seat... I would imagine that a larger tank would be harder to move, though!

It's a 65 with a 20L sump. Corals and fish. I would like to keep the sand bed but I also don't know if it's worth the risk. It's about a 10-15 min commute from my old house to our new house.

Grats on the new house.

My best moving results were always obtained by setting up a running aquarium beforehand at the new destination.

If possible :)

I'm currently buying buckets, setting up a new tank and getting it running is way out of the question. Hopefully the sellers will let me in early to set it up. The house is vacant.

Should I scrape off all the Coraline on the back and on the overflow. Or will it just turn white and come back to life later?

Coralline will die if out of the water for a length of time.

Its a good time to start clean. Thoroughly rinse sand to be reused of detritus or dump it out and start new!

When I moved I actually set my aquarium last to set up. Gave me the extra time to really focus on the setup. I kept everything running until my last day. I then dedicated hours to the aquarium. Gave me a chance to really take care of everything in a more thought out process. Good luck nonetheless! Hope everything works for you. Don't rush it. Take your time!

I moved my 75G to a new home. It took about 4 hrs from start to beginning. I bought a 55Gallon trash can from the hardware store a few days before hand and mixed 55G of new water. I put the fish in buckets and corals in different buckets. I also had some buckets just for water, sand and live rocks. I use my old canister filter to filter the debris from adding water with the sand bed. Moved to the new place, put the sand and live rocks in and then added the water I had in the water only buckets. It helps if you have a predetermined plan for the live rock. Then there is no time wasted putting the rocks together I filled the rest in with 55G new water and acclimated my fish as if it was new. Everything went well with no loss.

Blue Hippo
Copperband
Flame Angel
Pair of clown

SPS and LPS

I hope this helps.

Thank you Sweet. That helps.

I'm guessing I should also run some fresh chemi-pure too. As well as my filter sock

Well... Here's an update. When we were showing the house I was sorta joking with my realtor or that the tank was for sale, so the lady who bought this house, has a real interest in my fish tank. I told her it would be about $2000 cash deal , and also told her about all the maintenance and livelihood of the inhabitants.she says she has knowledge on it, and I also explained to her The daily/weekly/ monthly tasks and to do a lot of research before pursuing this $2000 investment. It's sort of bittersweet because it's taken me eight months to build this Tank and I love everything in it,do I take the money and run and not worry about the stress that would cause on moving a tank and myself? Plus it's on laminate floor, I know I've had some water hit underneath. I really don't want to replace the whole floor. What would you guys do move the tank and keep everything, or use the money to buy a bigger tank build your own stand? This was my first reef tank that I've ever built, now that I have some more knowledge and that I could do things differently.

Btw it's a fully functional 65 reef ready -ho T5 lights(aquatic life) -ASM skimmer, and everything under the sun that goes with it.

You know -5 gallon bucket ,RODI ,brute trashcan and stand ,food ,refractometer ,test kit.Not so much high-end eqipment, just the basics

I would start over and do all of the things that you mentioned you would do differently, as long as the $2K sounds fair.

The 2k is about what I have vested, it's almost like 100% return.

I'm not trying to get rid of it by any means, I love this hobby and everything in that glass box!

That is a hard choice. As long as you have room in the new house and your wife is ok with it, I would go bigger and start over. Planning and setting up new tanks is fun! Well, I think so...

Things can be done so much cheaper once you've been in the hobby for a while. Connections. Used equipment. Frags. Know how. Etc...

That's kinda what I was thinking, I have way more knowledge of the equip and livestock. I built my tank that I have now to "fit" this house. I couldn't do a 4' tank bc I had 3' wall space, in the new house I'll have 10'!

Sell and go bigger.! In the new house you will start to get the itch for bigger eventually., because of the extra space. This will allow you to get s great price on your current tank and not worry about the stress of moving it. make a list of the fishes and corals you have now and get the same ones in the new tank when it's set up. . It will help with the sentimental part of the decision. Good luck.

Back