New light question

Time to get back into it. Four years trucking, Heart attack, mild stroke, Finding all the time in the world now. Wife tried to keep up with our 65gal, we finally gave up about a year ago with water changes. Ugly purple Mushrooms fighting with Asphasia for control, (I call it our Farm) and still cant kill the Xenia. Pulled the rocks with the hairy things that look like tiny feather dusters and every thing else, in the back yard for the Texas heat to handle., and removing the Asphasia. I have rock in the sump, and a totebin full of dry. My wife had to replace the T5, they just stopped working after 15 years, and got a Coralife Seascape (36") before I had my problems. Need to know what I can do with it: corals, anemones, the good looking Mushrooms with color,...... Not expecting a Clam or the Higher light stuff. Just need to know what its good for. Thank you.

Cholesterol is some mean stuff, my own fault. :) Thanks, Still have trouble with Aphasia/Asphasia, I have both and dont know which is which.

ok, next question. Is there a filter that will allow me to clean the sand and send the water back into the tank? Thinking suction tube attached to a filter media box with a tube to send the water back to the tank. Maybe a horizonal cutout to let the sand out with a screen while the crud follows the water?

This is what I'm working with.

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_155159_2.jpg
    IMG_20220808_155159_2.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 17
Already starting cleaning the small stuff: rocks and such, just don't want to make a lot of water just to waste it suctioning the sand.

Attachments

• IMG_20220811_211618_3.jpg
    IMG_20220811_211618_3.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220811_211650_3.jpg
    IMG_20220811_211650_3.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 11
I think you’re looking for something like this - NICREW Power VAC Plus Electric Gravel Cleaner, Automatic Aquarium Cleaner with Sponge Filter, 3 in 1 Aquarium Vacuum Gravel Cleaner for Medium and Large Tanks https://a.co/d/8MOMiyY

possibly? I’ve never used them so I’m not sure.

I know I’ve done some changes where I put the hose into a filter sock in the sump and just do it that way. Not sure if you’re running actively running the sump though

"Easily removes particles from topmost layer of substrate without disturbing the bottom layer of gravel" Maybe im thinking too much here, I was thinking cleaning the sand all the way to the bottem. Like suctioning the gravel in my freshwater, gravity keeps the gravel down while the fine dust like stuff keeps going. Now I have to wonder if I need to clean the whole thing. I was trying to save me the trouble of useing a shovel and bucket to remove it and washing it, like starting over. Maybe I should just clean the topmost, like a normal cleaning, and leave it alone, save the bacteria and the good bugs instead of starting over.
But the sponge filter is what I was looking, Ill put it in the sump to catch most of it and add a sock as well. I can see me using a suction hose like that connected to the drain to the sump. Hmm.
Thank you

Last edited:
Gravel vac into a filter sock in your sump. Gravel vac attached to a hot magnum or other filter...
61acpeOxQRL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
41g2RnWUZDL._SL500_.jpg

Reading about your light, it's pretty low par. Probably fine for everything you have except maybe the anemones depending what type they are. Otherwise soft corals, some LPS. Your T5's would have been substantially brighter.

seascape_par.png

Last edited:
Hmm, Thank you. Have to get another light later for a BTA. LOL Much later. I like the Idea of that filter with gravel vac attached. The only anemones I have are Aiptasia. heh Ive been calling them aphasia/asphasia, (had to find my box of aiptasia-x.) I did get some micro filter pads for my sump just the flow is on the wrong direction. Have to rig something above it for the sock and the filter padding.

Last edited:
Brought out my old light, needs work, it tries to work. Its a 4 bulb, 36" T5. Bulbs are 39w: 2 actinic, 2 blue plus (ATI (new)). Any opinions on adding the two lights on this 65gal? lol Still thinking about the BTA someday.
Think the problem is the Ballast, lights at the ends but wont light the whole thing. Is it possible to upgrade it with more wattage? Should I?

Last edited:
Brought out my old light, needs work, it tries to work. Its a 4 bulb, 36" T5. Bulbs are 39w: 2 actinic, 2 blue plus (ATI (new)). Any opinions on adding the two lights on this 65gal? lol Still thinking about the BTA someday.
Think the problem is the Ballast, lights at the ends but wont light the whole thing. Is it possible to upgrade it with more wattage? Should I?
Personally I think that T5 fixture is plenty for a 65 with even a few SPS at the very top of the tank. 39W is already HO for 36" so more wattage not possible. A workhorse 7 ballast will run all four bulbs or 2 workhorse 5's for 2 channels of 2 bulbs each or you can get these ones form BRS (probably fine but I've never used them).

2x24W or 2x39W T5 High-Output Ballast - ATI

As for running the two lights together, if you have room and you don't hate the look go for it. You could have morning and evening with led only and led + T5 for full daytime.

Thank you again, sounds like a plan. Only thing left is the water problems, got to take my RO/DI apart to find out we have no pressure.

Well, time to try something else.

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_114213_2.jpg
    IMG_20220906_114213_2.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220906_114133_2.jpg
    IMG_20220906_114133_2.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220906_114120_3.jpg
    IMG_20220906_114120_3.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220906_114057_1.jpg
    IMG_20220906_114057_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220906_114227_1.jpg
    IMG_20220906_114227_1.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 7
Hmm for the Aiptasia infestation I’d see if you have a local that breeds Berghia nudibranchs, or look at peppermint shrimp, Aiptasia eating file fish, or copperband (or combination there of)

Id like to, all three. Tank and booster pump for the RO/DI first, thinking a new mechanical filter setup of some kind, ballasts for my light, then all the critters, (have to write them down, done forgot them) from the BRS Youtube video, and starting curing rock. Lot of rain this week, the ants have moved into my rocks. Might start with Hydrogen poraxide. I have a lot of dry rock, too. Even my 3 canister filters leak. lol I cant win. Hoping the water evaporing for a while will kill a lot of the crap in this tank, cause its gonna be a while.

Nothing wrong with trying to save some mushrooms. High salinity will definitely kill off a lot but I’ve found Aiptasia to be some of the most resilient

Back