New Lighting

rush07

I have decided I am going to order new lighting for my 24" deep 65 gallon tank and I am going to go with a Sunpod fixture. I can't decide if I 2X150 will be enough if I should go with the 2X250. Is that too much light? Is there such thing?

arts007

I think with that deep of a tank the 2 250 watts would be optimal, as far as too much light, there can be, I believe some if not all corals have a saturation limit, I could be wrong ..also depending under what lighting the corals originally came from, so an acclimation to the lighting would be in order

Since you did not list what coral you intend to keep it go either way

hahnmeister

In Memoriam
500watts of halide on a 65g? You could light a 75g, maybe even a 90g with that... heck, Ive seen 120g tanks with that for light. One 250wattDE is enough for a tank that size.

rush07

I am not sure what type of coral I am going to keep. I will start with polyps and mushrooms and then move into more difficult corals. I am looking for a system that will give me the most options for coral and that I won't have to upgrade in a year or two.

hahnmeister

In Memoriam
6x39/8x39wattT5s? That would be the most adaptable. It would give you PAR levels in the 400-500 range across the whole top... enough for most any SPS, 300s along the center, and 150-200 across the bottom, good for mushrooms, leathers, etc. The ability to change out individual bulbs to tweak the final look, as well as vary the total output of the fixture, would allow you to create the look you want, and provide plenty of light for what you need w/o massive wattages. Dual 250s would be overkill... yet I would understand if some suggested that dual 150s wouldnt quite be enough... it really depends on the reflectors.

But Id do T5s on that tank myself.