New mantis, ID please

Slickcg33

So I picked up this mantis from my LFS today because my beloved n.wennerae, Pickle, decided to go carpet surfing last night. Now i have a top to the tank, live and learn the hard way i guess....
Anyways Can i get an Id on this new stomatopod. thanks

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Are the rocks from indonesia?
Then it is a Gonodactylaceus glabrous (female) or G. graphurus.
Take a look at the meral spots. They should be orange.
gonodactylaceusglabrousimg2296.jpg

The spots are bright orange, that looks exactly like it, thank you. How can i tell which one it is for sure, Gonodactylaceus glabrous (female) or G. graphurus, what can I get a pic of? Also reading on Roys list it seems like its basically max size?

Last edited:
Take a closer look at the telson. Maybe you need a macro shot from the telson to see the difference.

Gonodactylaceus glabrous
g_glabrousarrow.gif

Gonodactylaceus graphurus
g_graphurusarrow.gif

I see no median carinule (on the sixth abdominal segment) on your photos.

G. glabrous

Well shes in her tank now, so i dont think im going to be able to get a photo as well as i did earlier. Thank you for your input, Ill go with thinking its a female g.Glabrous!

G.glaborus. I can't see the median carinule either.
Great find!!! These are some mean little bugs. Not as overtly aggressive as G.chiragra, but this is the species that stabbed me with one rap while taking krill from my hand with its other.

Nice find man...I always wanted a Glabrous. Good luck with her.

Thurge....I just want to say ouch!! :eek: I've been hit by my Smithii before, but never stabbed. I don't want to find out what that feels like.

Its not tickelish. Its even more fun when the cable guy shows up literally 2 minutes later and you still have blood running down your hand.
There was a heck of a lot of blood from what amounted to two small punctures.
Picture025.jpg

I got hit by her today cleaning the tank. She is a lot faster then i thought... however it must of been a warning blow because it didnt hurt that much. Felt like someone took the tip of a pen and bent it back smacking me with it. Dont know if any of you all did that in grade school lol.

On a side note, she's quite the home decorator. She goes around the tank looking for anything she likes and brings it back to her burrow and places it thoughtfully around the entrance. I think she has some sort of mucus coat that she is binding it all together with. Its really neat to watch. Im thinking about naming her pumpkin...

Her house and feeding time.

Her house and feeding time.

This is her new home! Her burrow is right up front running underneath the rock and you can see her head out the right side of the rock peeking out.

IMG_1302.jpg

Side shot

IMG_1301.jpg

Feeding time!!!

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

BEING SILLY

IMG_1296.jpg

Wow, nice setup. Do you mind telling us the different types of algae and anemone you have in there?

Do you have a problem with your mantis screwing up your algae/anemone?

Hey thanks. I dont have any anemones in the tank. You might be referring to the big purple mushroom on top of the rock, or perhaps the Xenia.

What I have in the tank are as follows.

mushrooms on the rock, a couple diferent kinds

Ricordeas Blue, Orange, and Green at the right of the tank in the sand

Xenia. Pulsing and Purple Heteroxenia on the thermometer and the left of the tank.

Green Star Polyps hugging the back right of the rock

The macro algae are as follows:

Caulerpa located in the left corner of the tank, and her den

Red Grape Caulerpa in the front of the tank on the rock

Gracilaria in her den and not visible in the pics

Turtle grass 1 piece in the back left corner behind the rock

Halimedia in the right corner of the tank

and some random stuff from Florida live rock.

Shes a pain as far as taking the 2 species of Caulerpa into her burrow. but she still might be decorating because shes only been in the tank for about a weekish.

Last edited:
Back