new maxima not opened fully, but already attached to a base

CTaylor

Hello,

I just got a 1 1/2" maxima. It's been in LFS for over a week, and was opened fully under it's LED (chinese black bos, so they weren't perfect or very strong). So I put mine in a medium light area of my 48" wide, 22" deep 110 gallon, under kessil a700 in the middle and a600 on either side. It might get 150-180 MAAXX par where it's at, I measured with PAR meter. I placed it on a half clam shell, which holds it great. I forgot to get phyto. I will in the next 1-2 days.

It was opened nicely the first 24 hrs. Then this early eve, about 4 hrs before lights out (12 hr cycle) I noticed it was opened only slightly. I also saw that it was attached to it's base (that clam shell). Later, I pulled it up out of the water, curiious and worried if the muscle was dying. But it squirted strong, so it seems the muscle is still intact well.

Should I be concerned? I thought it was dying, but would the facts that it's attaching and still squirts mean that it's ok, and maybe I need to get phyto ASAP?
And should I just dose phyto according to label on bottle? It's the only phyto filter feeder I have.

I'd post in the clam forum, but literally there are no posts there! lol

THX!

Clams don't really need supplemental feeding.. I have never added phyto for a clam
Just give it time and see how it does.. They get temperamental like anything else and often only open partially for a bit..

The clam is under 2", when they are small, the mantle is not large enough to provide all the nutrients from the photosynthetic process. My guess is that at 1-1/2 inches it should just be large enough to use only light but I would go ahead and provide photo.

Every two days, 1 hour before lights out. , for all four of my clams I stop all water movement for 16 minutes.
Using a syringe with a long ridged airline tube, I make a small cloud of phytoplankton right over the clam.

When you do this, watch it "œpump" a few times as it takes in the photo,

In the end, what ever the clam does consume will feed your micro fauna population so everyone wins.

When acclimating a clam, it is best to start on the bottom, then move upwards.

Keep in mind your clam is a maxima and thus will love light.

Provided he is not totally closed, just leave him, all seems normal in this regard

Last edited:
TY mcg and Uncle
I'm thinking it's a good sign, though that it's stuck to the base (clam shell I have from before) quickly? And that it did pump pretty hard when I moved it? I'm just really concerned about it, because when I got two (one each at two different times from LAq) both died quickly. I had one a long time ago that did very well in another tank. So I have some experience with them. The ones that died, though, did not attach to anything and had no reaction to stimulus very soon after I received them.

The clam is under 2”, when they are small, the mantle is not large enough to provide all the nutrients from the photosynthetic process.

That sounds like a myth spread throughout the years of reefing started by phyto lovers :)..
A smaller clam doesn't need the same food amount as a larger clam.. Its mantle is proportional to its body/energy needs..

But if you have data (facts) on the caloric output of a clam mantle in relation to its energy needs I'd love to read/learn about it..

That sounds like a myth spread throughout the years of reefing started by phyto lovers :)..
A smaller clam doesn't need the same food amount as a larger clam.. Its mantle is proportional to its body/energy needs..

But if you have data (facts) on the caloric output of a clam mantle in relation to its energy needs I'd love to read/learn about it..

That makes sense also. Though I'm probably still going to get some phyto. It can only benefit the clam, right? Even if it doesnt totally need it (??). I'm just happy it/he/she is opening again and looking good so far.

TY

Most of the so called facts presented to me by other reefers where 20 years old, but all rated photosynthetic nutrition between 65-75% and the remainder through filter feeding.

All clam farms I have seen are using phyto on the smaller guys.

Mine are clearly pulling it in, they can filter the column, so my thoughts are they must use the energy somehow.

A myth is something completely untrue, I don't think this is completely untrue. but, there is likely a dispute on its value, need and effect on the clam.

A clam will likely survive on just light, but does it thrive and show its best colour?

My suggestion to the poster is to review the many clam farms on you-tube and decide what's best for them

Last edited:
Now it's closed again, maybe more than before. Now I'm getting worried, as it looks like my other ones that soon died. Is it possible that it's getting too much light? I mean it wasn't getting a lot of light in the LFS under the 'chinese' LED. Or maybe just my spectrum it doesnt like? Is this what a clam looks like when it doesnt like the lighting?

First pic is how it is now, and pretty much after late afternoon yesterday. Briefly it was opened today.
The second pic is how it was up until mid day yesterday.

EDIT: I just turned off the Kessil a600 'spot' light that is over that end of the tank. I'll see how clam reacts. Tank now has the a700 in the middle and the other a600 on other side (right side). I'm thinking it's a little less light now than the LFS. Before it was little more.

TY!

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4940.jpg
    IMG_4940.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yup, we don't want that closed all the time, but, it's still very early.

For a Maxima or Crocea, laying down that Byssal thread 1-3 days is normal.
Being on a hard substrate is needed, so that's normal.

All clams are a bit finicky on changes in light intensity and spectrum.

Is there some inhabitants that might pick at him, angelfish or wrasse for example? Just want to rule out "œbugging" or nipping

For safety, check water parameters are on point and remain stable.

If he's on the bottom, I would just watch him over the next few days and see if the open time is becoming more, he has attached, he can open normally, he can stop the light
Himself, so my vote would be to check water and do nothing and BTW, it's a beautiful specimen!

Last edited:
TY Uncle
It's opened a bit more in the last 30 mins or so I had the spot light off. I dont see it hurting to do that and then have that spot on low and for short time goign to longer time /more intense over 2 weeks (?).
Side note, with my lighting I have, I do not put even any acros higher than mid height up my tank. Almost eveyrone is on the floor lol. When I put some very brightly colored ones in the middle on the bottom, they start to die. So I am thinking there is something with my lighting.
I will test params again later today/tonight. I konw my alk is fine at 7.5 dkh -- higher than 8 and my acros start to die (normally I have super low Phosphate at less than 7 ppBillion, without trying). Normally nitrates are about 3-6 ppm. Testing later though.

No one is picking at the clam at all also.

Last edited:
The clam is opening more now... about half way between where it was most closed to being most opened. I didnt test the water yet. I did turn the a600 's back on mainly b/c I noticed an acro losing color on it's lower inner branches. The still opened more after that. I'll slowly acclimated it to higher light. I've released phyto above it, with pumps off. But it only reacted when I made it do so by causing sudden lower light (shade with hand). It does react to stimuli such as that very easy, though. I'm pretty sure it will be ok :)

Most people feed clams by taken them out of the tank and put them in a smaller container with high density of phytoplankton for 30 min-1 hr. More than that and you will need to worry about temp and aeration.

Most people feed clams by taken them out of the tank and put them in a smaller container with high density of phytoplankton for 30 min-1 hr. More than that and you will need to worry about temp and aeration.

TY Orion
**I did see my Joculator Angel take a big nip at the clam today! :-/ It of course immediately retracted. I did not feed the tank on time, so the angel may have been particularly hungry. I do not know if this will happen often even assuming regular 2x daily feedings. I can re-set up my autofeeder to sprinkle some dry pellets also. Though at same time I don't want to over feed.
The clam will probably die in this situation, no? I'm assuming I will not be able to stop the nipping. (??)
At least it looks like I know the cause for the mantle retrcacting. BUt it's been much more open on average than days 2-5 when I first got it.

TY

I'm thinking I need to find a new home for the clam b/c eventually the angel will injure it enough to kill it. (?). If so I need to post right away if someone can take it that lives close to me.

a friend jus ttold me to take the maxi off the floor and put it higher up... as the angel is less likely to pick at clam higher up. he said it's whats he's done. I'll try it :)

Give that a shot.
Angels notorious for clam nipping
If he continues, yup, he will eat the clam.
Sorry

Back