New MP40W gen 2 falling off

nirrad

Ecotech,

First let me start by saying that I am very happy with this pump, the output of it is incredible. I love the different settings and my corals seem to really be resonding to the random flow.

My concern however is the long term use of my vortech. I have read every message on this board regarding the vortech, the good, and the bad, and decided to finally purchase one for my tank. I purchased this pump on 6/15/09 from Marine Depot. It is a Gen 2. It was delivered on 6/19/09 and was immediately put to use in my tank. I installed as per your instructions and had perfect results. I was actually impressed with how quiet the pump was as I expected it to be louder.

Approximately 2 weeks ago, I came home from work to find the vortech on the sand bed. I cleaned the pump, and the glass and re-installed the vortech. All was well. On Saturday, I was watching the tank and the wetside starting to spin in place and then fell to the bottom of the sandbed. Again, I cleaned the wetside and the glass and re-installed the pump. It has been going since then with no issues.

My problem is reliability. I am afraid to leave my tank alone with this pump. I might expect this from a pump that is a few years old and getting worn. But this from a pump that is a month old? I don't know if I can live with that. I have seen numerous threads on this forum about the same issue. It seems like the same issue.

Tim, could you please answer for this problem with the Gen 2 MP40W's?

I really love this pump, could you please put me (and some others) at ease and tell me if this is going to be a long term issue.

Also, what should I do about my pump. This has only happened twice, and It's currently working, but it IS happening. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Darrin

Interestingly enough I had the same problem. I bought a new Gen 2 MP40w about 6 weeks ago and put it in place. It has worked great since day one and out of no where, the wetside spun off this weekend.

Put it back on, and it has been fine.

Not sure, but I thought I would tag along as I have the same concerns.

Following along as well. I have 2 MP40w and have had some issues with the wet side falling off. while I agree whole heartedly that these pumps are amazing and your customer service is 2nd to none...I am still a little leary. It's nice to have the piece of mind knowing any issues I have will be resolved. But it would be even nicer to know that this specific problem is going to be resolved.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15429928#post15429928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rando45
I would check here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1671105

Rando45, I have read that thread. I didn't see any answers there. Maybe you can share with me what was resolved for you. How old was yours before the problem began? What did they do to fix it? Are you going to have to do the same thing in a month? etc.,

Thanks.

Darrin

well they have sent me new parts in the mail, should be here this week

I was told this will fix the issues without any further hassle

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to this sooner guys, I was away from the office yesterday.

Over the last few months we have seen a an increase in the number of customers experiencing problems with their pump falling off the glass. We have traced this problem down to a small number of wet drive shafts received earlier this spring which varied slightly outside of the required specification. Even despite this deviation, the number of units featuring this variation which actually experience problems is small, only a few percent.

This issue was limited to parts received during a limited time period and we resolved the issue shortly after. Because of this, we have diligently communicated with our suppliers to tighten our tolerances and ensure that this does not happen again. If you have experienced this problem, we will be able to identify the cause and rest assured that the corrective action you receive through our customer support channels will solve your problem, regardless of when the problem occurs.

We are committed to you, our customers, and to your long term enjoyment using our pumps on your aquariums. We apologize if you were affected through problems with your pump and will do our best to make things right.

Tim, thank you for responding. It does make me feel better to know that you have identified the problem and have corrected it. Please be aware though, that I just purchase this pump on June 16, 2009 and am having the problem.

In regards to my particular pump, this has happened twice, will this continue happening? Should I contact your customer service for a replacement drive shaft?

Thanks Again.

Darrin

I had my Vortech screw keep coming undone, don't know if it was the shaft or not. Sent in the Vortech about a week later got it back with replaced parts and it has been working like a champ since.

Service was excellent would reccommend.

Jason

Guess I shouldnt buy any of the pumps being sold on this site then. I've been offered MP40W's for 325 shipped! Prolly will have issues with them ? hmmm

kkdoughboy-

No, there is no reason not to buy a vortech from this site or any other. Like I said, we're talking about a small possibility. Sometimes problems get amplified on boards like this, but the thing to realize is we sell around 1000 pumps every month. On a public service board like this you're going to see whenever someone has a problem but the thousands of other people don't post anything and just enjoy their perfectly operating pump. Rest assured, if you do experience a problem in or out of warranty we will be there to take care of you.

Darrin- Yes. Please contact us.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15431898#post15431898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkdoughboy
Guess I shouldnt buy any of the pumps being sold on this site then. I've been offered MP40W's for 325 shipped! Prolly will have issues with them ? hmmm

kkdoughboy, I would highly reccommend this pump. I agree with Tim, you are going to hear more about issues, than satisfaction. After having my concerns put to rest, I will continue to enjoy the vortech's performance and should a need arise in the future, I will definately buy another vortech.

Again, thank you Tim for responding to this.

Darrin.

I completely agree with you guys. A few issues hear and there when thousands of these units are operating perfectly is no reason not to buy. I was merely trying to convince my brain not to spend 650+ on pumps ;). Haha

Well mine is doing it now AJHHHHHHHHHHH CRAP. I can't speak. I thought that a snail hit it and knocked it off. Came back from operations being in the Army and the right side fell off , cleaned it put it back on and the dumb thing fell off again ,and now the other one is doign it .....I hope i didnt waste money here.

sent a email to them at customer service i hope i get sorted out . and I live in Canada Eh

I haven't contacted customer service yet for my pump. But from what I've read about their customer service on here, they will get you sorted out as quickly as they can. Let us know how it goes. GL

I'm having the same problem... and just sent them a note. While my pumps are not Gen 2, the wet sides were upgraded on all my pumps when I had a similar problem about 6 months ago and was told it would resolve the problem.

Now its happening again. Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be an isolated incident, I have several members of my local club and a few LFS's in the area who have all had similar problems on all generations.

Having the same issue :(

Tim, I sent an email to service for help, I hope it went thru. I am leaving soon for work for a week and only have a K1 and small skimmer pump keeping "flow"
pump is 4 weeks old, Gen2, and I dont dose anything and its perfectly clean inside. it spins off no matter what settings.

http://firespeed.com/webcam.html
:(

Any tips for in the meantime?

Thanks!

-Rick

i also have the same problems as you guys. i have 4 vortechs on my tank, and i have been having problems with my 2 "newer" ones. what i have noticed, is that my older vortechs have a different wet side compared to my new ones. ive already had 2 new wet sides fail and i replaced them with new ones.

what exactly is cause the pumps to fall off of the glass?

Back