Team RC
WHAT ARE THESE???
GreenMushrooms3.jpg

PurpleMushroooms.jpg

PurpleMushroooms2.jpg

RedMushrooms2.jpg

Fullshot.jpg

I think i'm getting an addiction to these things! :D

Thanks - fingers crossed I keep them that way. Do you know what kind are in the top picture? Are they just standard green mushrooms?

Gateway Aquatics and Marine Solutions in St. Louis. We are fortunate to have a few great LFS locally. And we're in the middle of the country - fathom that! :lol:

They look like regular green mushrooms to me but I am not an expert. I have some that are similar to those and they were sold to me as green mushrooms. The only difference is your mushrooms have some purple mine are mostly green.

Hey some of those look exactly like what I am trying to eradicate!! They reproduce like rabbits for me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8079205#post8079205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jpgwold
They look like regular green mushrooms to me but I am not an expert. I have some that are similar to those and they were sold to me as green mushrooms. The only difference is your mushrooms have some purple mine are mostly green.

That's funny... when my LFS sold me the green ones they actually looked more purple. They even said on the bill they were blue/purple mushrooms. Since I've had them in my tank they turned the color you see in the pic. Green, i guess... :rolleyes:

Mushrooms like other corals tend to morph, but in this case the "purple/blue" you are talking about is due to the lighting set up they have. They more then likely were running PCs (50/50 and a dual actinic). I thought mine were purple as well.... turns out the lighting had a big role in it and the angle I was looking at the mushrooms as well.

Hope you have fun scraping mushrooms off later. lol... I ended up fragging a mess of them and sold them. You can get some decent credits at the LFS when they get crazy.

Thanks for the info! I thought they were under halides, but could be wrong. I have pc's, so maybe that's why the 'morph'. And, call me crazy, but for some weird reason, I'm looking forward to fragging them! :lol2:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8077784#post8077784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef

I think i'm getting an addiction to these things! :D

Join the club. :D

Look like rhodactis, discosoma to me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8079643#post8079643 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Thanks for the info! I thought they were under halides, but could be wrong. I have pc's, so maybe that's why the 'morph'. And, call me crazy, but for some weird reason, I'm looking forward to fragging them! :lol2:

I ended up fragging mine to cover the other LRs that were getting annoying to look at. Some tips to fragging them...

1) Don't be a chicken... if you have a weak stomic don't do it
2) Place them in rubble or the sand bed where there is little to no flow so it can attach
3) Get some gel super glue to glue them after they attach to the rubble/sand
4) If you want more mushrooms, cut them in half after you fragged them off the main rock.

Green = Rhodactis blue + red = Discosoma
i frag mine by cutting the disc off and then cutting the disc like a pizza.make sure peice of mouth is on each frag. leave it in rubble to heal and attatch. but they can grow to quickly and pop up everywhere.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8080775#post8080775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edwardbotha
Green = Rhodactis blue + red = Discosoma
i frag mine by cutting the disc off and then cutting the disc like a pizza.make sure peice of mouth is on each frag. leave it in rubble to heal and attatch. but they can grow to quickly and pop up everywhere.

Over chopping them is just evil, I can understand cutting it in half, but like a pizza is just greed. Its almost inhuman IMO.:eek:

Back