New nano Tank - it's been years

johnstank1983

Hi all,

If this is not the correct area to post, please let me know. I have not been on the site in a number of years.

Years ago I ran multiple reef aquariums. A lot has changed over the years since I took a break from the hobby. Recently my little brother set up a large fresh water tank and it sparked my desire to start a nano reef.

Wanted to start a thread to document my process. Maybe get some help from others as well.

This past weekend I ordered myself an AquaMaxx 9.6gal tank.

I'm going to run a AquaClear 50 for the filter (I know it's not the best solution) but I've had success with using them in the past on other nano reefs.

I also ordered a Ocean Box Designs AC50 overflow skimmer, and a low buck airstone skimmer. It's the DyMax IQ. A pretty common set up actually.

I am looking for some suggestions on a good LED light for some soft corals. I've been lookin at the Hipagero (I think that's how you spell it) :). But open to other lights and figured some of you have some good info that may be helpful. I've not ran a reef in a good 8-10 years. Thy said, I'm still looking for stuff to buy to help me run a good clean nano.

I know I need a salinity meter, some testers, I don't want to "œdose" the tank and want it to be as natural as possible. That has me questioning if I should start with dry rock or live rock. Forgive me if I sound like a newbie, I'm a little overwhelmed with all the new products out. When I got into nano the BioCube 29 and the redSea were pretty much new and hot times.

I do know I want to run LED lights, and don't mind spending a few bills on a good lamp set.

What is a good tester kit I should invest in to test PH and nitrates ext...

The goal is to stock the tank with a small Maroon Clown and maybe a 2 Spot goby, a nice cleaner crew and some soft corals.

The tank Should be in this week, I'll get some pictures up as soon as it arrives.

Thank you for any information shared.

Regards,
John

Hi all,

This past weekend I ordered myself an AquaMaxx 9.6gal tank.

I'm going to run a AquaClear 50 for the filter (I know it's not the best solution) but I've had success with using them in the past on other nano reefs.

I also ordered a Ocean Box Designs AC50 overflow skimmer, and a low buck airstone skimmer. It's the DyMax IQ. A pretty common set up actually.

I am looking for some suggestions on a good LED light for some soft corals. I've been lookin at the Hipagero (I think that's how you spell it) :). But open to other lights and figured some of you have some good info that may be helpful. I've not ran a reef in a good 8-10 years. Thy said, I'm still looking for stuff to buy to help me run a good clean nano.

I know I need a salinity meter, some testers, I don't want to "œdose" the tank and want it to be as natural as possible. That has me questioning if I should start with dry rock or live rock. Forgive me if I sound like a newbie, I'm a little overwhelmed with all the new products out. When I got into nano the BioCube 29 and the redSea were pretty much new and hot times.

I do know I want to run LED lights, and don't mind spending a few bills on a good lamp set.

What is a good tester kit I should invest in to test PH and nitrates ext...

The goal is to stock the tank with a small Maroon Clown and maybe a 2 Spot goby, a nice cleaner crew and some soft corals.

The tank Should be in this week, I'll get some pictures up as soon as it arrives.

John

Im still using Aquaclears on smaller tanks and find them pretty good unless you go with a over flow box and sump as a option. Reasonably priced, pretty flexible on media you can run, adjustable flow rate to a degree, and about as reliable as it gets.

Lights...I just took the LED light plunge about a year ago and went with Kessil for their simplicity. I got the A80 Tuna Blue for 130.00 out the door for my 5.5 gallon QT tank. Only two knobs to adjust, one for intensity the second one for color from about 10k-20k range. You cant do all the crazy programing with it like you can for other light fixtures to simulate dusk/dawn and storms but I like the idiot proof simplicity, you just cant go too far wrong other than maxing out the intensity and frying your corals. The AI Prime 16 might be a better option especially if you like tweaking things and programing them. I am sure there are others though.

I like starting with dry rock and adding a little coraline scrapings from another tank I have, but you can add a small live rock to your tank and get the same end results after time. The biggest advantage I see to starting that way is less chance of introducing a unwanted pest to the tank that you might later have to deal with. It takes a while for the pretty purple stuff to cover the rock but you'll get there just the same.

As for Fish...that Maroon Clown is going to quickly out grow that tank in short order! Might wanna do some research and find fish thats more appropriate for a tank that small. With a tank that small...the less fish you have bio-load wise the better I think you will do. It doesnt take much of a bio-load to overwhelm a tank that small and the water quality in it. Just a suggestion...

Im still using Aquaclears on smaller tanks and find them pretty good unless you go with a over flow box and sump as a option. Reasonably priced, pretty flexible on media you can run, adjustable flow rate to a degree, and about as reliable as it gets.

Lights...I just took the LED light plunge about a year ago and went with Kessil for their simplicity. I got the A80 Tuna Blue for 130.00 out the door for my 5.5 gallon QT tank. Only two knobs to adjust, one for intensity the second one for color from about 10k-20k range. You cant do all the crazy programing with it like you can for other light fixtures to simulate dusk/dawn and storms but I like the idiot proof simplicity, you just cant go too far wrong other than maxing out the intensity and frying your corals. The AI Prime 16 might be a better option especially if you like tweaking things and programing them. I am sure there are others though.

I like starting with dry rock and adding a little coraline scrapings from another tank I have, but you can add a small live rock to your tank and get the same end results after time. The biggest advantage I see to starting that way is less chance of introducing a unwanted pest to the tank that you might later have to deal with. It takes a while for the pretty purple stuff to cover the rock but you'll get there just the same.

As for Fish...that Maroon Clown is going to quickly out grow that tank in short order! Might wanna do some research and find fish thats more appropriate for a tank that small. With a tank that small...the less fish you have bio-load wise the better I think you will do. It doesnt take much of a bio-load to overwhelm a tank that small and the water quality in it. Just a suggestion...

Yea I've had maroon clowns before, they do grow fast but I feel if I find a small one I can keep him for a while then if needed upgrade the tank. I'm still considering other fish, I don't want more than 2 fish total.

I know about the kessil, I've not seen one in person tho. I need to go to a few local shops to see what they have and if they have any of the A80s in stock.

I think I should start with dry rock, may pick up a small piece of live stuff from a local shop to start the process, didn't even think of that.

Thanks for the info [MENTION=39563]Imaexpat2[/MENTION] I do appreciate it!

Back