Super Housemonkey!
Took these today

FT

FT_02-23-2009.JPG

Left Side

LS_2-23-09.JPG

Right Side

RS_2-23-09_2_.JPG

Close up of Ritteri anemone and clowns, (her mate is hiding under the left lower side of the anemone)

Ritteri5.JPG

My Indo-Pacific Regal angel

Regal_2-22-09.jpg

I should have cleaned the glass better on the shot w/ the Regal. My apologies...

Tank is a 120 Oceanic lit by dual 250 10k XM SE's. Four Tunze Stream 6000's on multicontroller, 1 Koralia 4, return is Panworld 100PX-X pushing 960 gph (after headloss etc) through a WavySea. Tank contains:

1 Regal angel (approx 4.5 inches long)
1 Tomini tang (approx 4 inches long)
1 Purple tang (approx 2.5 inches long)
1 Convict tang (approx 1.5 inches long)
2 Onyx percula clwons, (Rod's Reef. Female is 2.75 inches, male is not quite 2 inches long)
1 Diadema urchin (approx 3 inches diameter)
1 Crocea clam (approx 5 inches)
1 Derasa clam (approx 12 inches)
Various SPS frags, and a ridiculously annoying amount of bubble algae.

Nick

It looks very nice and clean, just how you like it, for the BB. Great looking fish! Is this that empty 120 acrylic that was in your basement a few years back? Great looking tank

Are you still at the Pageant on weekends? It has been a few years since I caught up with you.

How old is the Ritteri anemone. I had heard they dont ship well and are very hard to keep. Where did you get it?

Nice...how long you had the regal...I had one for 2 months that just passed on me...ate everything for 6 weeks and then slowly stopped eating

It looks very nice and clean, just how you like it, for the BB. Great looking fish! Is this that empty 120 acrylic that was in your basement a few years back? Great looking tank
Are you still at the Pageant on weekends? It has been a few years since I caught up with you.

Hey Phil, thanks for the compliments....
This is not the acrylic one I had. I sold that to finance this one. I wasnt going to use it for anything but a F/O anyway due to the dimensions, (72x18x24 with narrow openings). Sadly, I'm not at The Pageant anymore. The dept didnt have a warm fuzzy about it, and the guy running it, (contractor hired by The Pageant to provide security), was chronically late in paying us for working there...several months late was not uncommon. Its unfortunate since I really enjoyed working there. Maybe in the future things will work out so I can get back to it.

BTW, do you know there have ALOT of posts to your thread about you're lagoon? I love that tank!!!

Very nice! Is that monti cap tan with purple rim by chance?
Angler02,
Yes it is. I also happen to have a quater sized frag of it if you'd like. I knocked it off when cleaning the glass about a week ago. Let me know if you're interested.

How old is the Ritteri anemone. I had heard they dont ship well and are very hard to keep. Where did you get it?
rbnice1,
I dont know how old it is, but on March 10th, I'll have had it for 3 years. They dont ship well at all, and IME they can be very difficult to acclimate. Its almost like alot of them dont "want" to live. I've seen some that were healthy enough to have survived, and didnt. I also almost lost this one after about a year into keeping it. I saw another one for sale and bought it. It didnt ship well and aquired an infection of somesort. Prior to passing, the newly aquired one infected my healthy one with whatever it had. Fortunately, I was able to get my hands on some doxycyclene, and beat back the infection with that. Prior to that, I had absolutely no idea that anemones could pass diseases along to each other. It makes sense that they would be able to, but I hadnt thought of it.....
I bought this one from Phishybusiness. Serdar and Renee had it for several months prior to posting it for sale. IMO/IME with theses anemones, that was the major factor in being successful with this one. Even so, for the first week, I was pretty sure it wasnt gonna make it. It went from 400 w 20k bulbs to 250 watt AB10k DE's, and really had a hard time adjusting to both the shipping stress and he increase in lighting intensity. It would deflate completely and look like it was melting several times a day for extended periods of time. I'm assuming that it was adjusting to the lighting since this was a way to decrease surface area exposed to light. After a week, it began to be open more than closed, and after a month, it pretty much stopped deflating like that. It will still do it once in a blue moon, but I suspect thats primarily to expell waste/and or freak me out for an hour or so.
One thing I cant stress enough, these anemones arent for beginners. I would start out with BTA's, (E.quadricolor) or LTA's, (M.doreensis) and work on keeping them successfully for awhile first.

Nick

Nice...how long you had the regal...I had one for 2 months that just passed on me...ate everything for 6 weeks and then slowly stopped eating

Charlie's angel,
Thanks for the compliment! I've had this Regal since 11-27-07. They are a funny fish that way. This is the 2nd one I've had. 1st one was a Red Sea/IO, (yellow chest) that was just stunning. I bought it from Phishybusiness as well. (I dont work for them, or get a kickback from them. I'm just really, really happy with everything I ever bought from them, healthwise. And they're customer service just rocks!). Anyway, On my last attempt at keeping two Ritteri/ H.mag anemones together in this tank, the new one wandered into a pump intake, got shredded, released nematocysts, and killed all of my fish except my clowns. It wound up dying from the damage caused by the pump.
:(

I got this Regal from Diver's Den after calling to ensure that it was eating. They sent someone over the facility to double check, and told me it was eating mysis, so I oredered it. I immediately put it, the Tomini tang, (which was another fish I'd lost in the Great Anemone Massacre of 2007), and the Purple tang into QT for a month to get them acclimated. The Regal was 3.5 inches, The Tomini was about 3, and the Purple was the size of a silver dollar when it flared its fins. IME, Regal's are a reluctant eater, (both of mine were), and absolutely benefit from other fish in the tank that go after food without being aggressive about it. I honestly thought I was gonna lose her about 6 months into it, due to malnutrition. She would only eat shrimp, scallop, and mysis, no veggies at all. After awhile I was able to get her onto flake in addition to everything mentioned above, and just before Xmas last year she started eating Nori from the clip, like the tangs. All I can figure is that she "decided" they (tangs) liked it, so it must be good. Both of mine honestly took about a year to get acclimated and begin to eat well and somewhat aggressively. I have heard of several instances where these fish will eat fine for awhile, and then decide to stop. Several people reccomend trying clam on the half shell to get started eating, and then graduate to other foods later. I have clams, so I wasnt interested in "teaching" either of mine that clams can be a food source. So far she doesnt nibble on SPS, clams, or the zoas I've tried in there to test. But she has gotten too close to the Ritteri twice. You can see where her ventral fin has regrown this time. Last time is was the dorsal fin in about the same area. Hopefully by now, she's figured out its not going to play nice with her, and the clowns get pretty snotty about things that get too close it now that they're breeding again.

Nick man how are you doing? Tank looks damn nice man....
Howard,
Thanks man! I'm doing all right. Work keeps me busier than I'd like sometimes, but with the economy being what it is right now, I'm not complaining about working. Still, as soon as I can figure out how to work from home, rest assured, I'll be doing it!

nice.... looks alot like my tank - minus the coral and the fishies and the clam...

Chris,
Did I miss something??????????? Did you take down your system?

Nick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14469124#post14469124 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII

Chris,
Did I miss something??????????? Did you take down your system?

Nick

Nope... Still running. ITs very neglected at the moment.... It was a smart remark. but my rock structure looks alot like yours with teh towers... very little coral in it... I am in the process of deciding how i want to set it up after we finish the basement... but thats months away.

Ahhhh....I was starting to get freaked out there for a moment. You're bubble algae still missing in action? I've some I can spot you to seed your tank with.....

;)

Nick

Love the Regal. I just bought an Emperor about 6 weeks ago, can't wait to get him out of QT. Adapted quickly to prepared foods and has lot of personality, never shy.

Awesome ritteri anmeone! I would like to get one someday but at the moment I need more tank space:( I might have to make a 92 gallon corner tank just for one.

TB, thanks for the compliments. I love Emperor angels. The goal is to eventually upgrade to a 250 gallon display and I will then have room for an Emperor to go along with my Regal.
Everytime I read your sig, I have to laugh....reminds me of all the goofball stuff I've heard over the years while booking or sitting up at intake waiting to pick one up.

Nook............
You need more tank space??????? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be happy to help you set up one for it though.....
BTW, how are your new clams doing?

Nick

Anemones are so damn territorial! I would really need to make a species tank for one.

The clams are doing great! ALL open and beautiful!!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14475505#post14475505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
I need to come over again and take more pics....

Nick

Yes! I am off all next week:) I still need to put your pictures you took in my Photobucket account...some nice ones!

Back