New Reef

antalaotra

Hi,
I had kept seahorses for several years, I lost them all to a vibrio outbreak and now my tank is unfit for horses. I'm a newbie to reef keeping and would like some info and maybe some hardy coral ideas.
My tank is a 44 gallon pentagon all glass, it's a pretty simple setup, it has a remora protein skimmer, a magnum 350 canister filter, 2 aqua clear 30 power heads and 45 pounds live rock. Right know the stock includes a 3 year old orange tubastrea, some blue shrooms and a green paly. I have a false percula and a yellow clown goby and a small mandrin dragonette also a fire shrimp and a pepermint. I would like to stock my tank with some very colorful and easy corals and maybe a few more fish----what do you think? tax returns are comming soon!

mandarins need very established tanks with refugiums creating alot of pods. Might want to trade him back. Good luck with that tank, its not ideal for a reef tank, get pics up when you do it!

I had almost the same setup as you a few years ago except it was a 30 gal hex, really enjoyed it. Once it got more mature and stable I was able to keep a nice mix.

full.jpg

Yep, chip off the old block :) Its an old pic, unfortunately there was a series of events (and suspicions) as to what really went caused my tank crash. Wellington eh, my grandmother lives in Sullivan.

Try some Zoas they always add good color. Maybe a RBTA and a frogspawn. Stick with softies till you get the hang of everything.
Cheers

Back