New seahorse tank

yeah, thats where I'm getting them. are they eating frozen yet??? I'm setting the 70 up tomorrow if I can bribe Tim into helping me carry it upstairs.

Is there a way you could attach some heavy slabs of granite or something to the bottom of them? Not sure if granite is compatible w/ SW or not but you get the idea...

Oh yeah, good idea about the granite. Maybe I could ask at Pet World if they've got any broken or taken-apart ones of those logs bolted to slate slabs. Idk if that'd be heavy enough though.

I'm kinda one of those people who doesn't like the idea of horses and pipes together, I'd personally rather be on the safe side. I'd love to have pipes sometime but I want seahorses more lol...

The pipes, mandarin, and horses are al direct competitors, which means (esp with the mandarin in there) you'll have to spend some more time feeding to make sure everyone gets their share. Keeping all those together, you'll never ever have to worry about seeing a single pod in your tank again lol....

I'm plannig 2 fuges. One in sump and I have a CPR HOB as well. And if I get them eating frozen we should be in business. I def don't wanna over populate. Probably go with pairs of each and call it quits. Not bad for a 70gal I hope.

Matt you might be able to silicone them to the bottom glass. Just a thought, I guess if you did it that way you would have to really plan on where you wanted them.

Yeah, I wish I could attach them to the bottom like that but I have no idea how I'd attach corals to them, I would like to take them out and glue stuff to them over time...

I was just outside a minute ago, and I was able to figure that the bigger one needs between 5 and 6 lbs of something to hold it down, and the little one needs between 2 and 3 lbs of stuff to hold it down.

Someone had mentioned attaching glass bases onto them to weigh them down, I think I might be able to do that with enough plates fo glass. I have a ring saw and grinder so I'm able to cut the glass to fit, shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them negatively bouyant, other than piling dense rocks, like granite, on the bases? (personally I just don't think it'll look good) Or how I could use the glass to hold them down? I was thinking drilling a couple holes through the glass, and attaching them to the structures through the eggcrate with nylon bolts.

Maybe, if I saved up a bit, I could buy some really dense tonga branch, and attach the rocks with zip ties to the bases. Just though of this and I might try it, if I can afford it :(. I think this, if the glass didn't work, would be the besst looking solution.

Someone also suggested using magnets, by glueing some to the underside of the tank, and then corresponding ones on the bottoms of the structures. Would this cause too much pressure in small areas on the glass? It's tempered so I would imagine I'd have to be really careful whenever I take them out and put them back in again.

I could make a couple little acrylic "feet" that are boxes to hold the magnets, I could attach them to the bases...

I made them by attaching rocks to an eggcrate frame with zip-ties, adn then I sprayed foam in between them.

Well apparently super glue gel works underwater, so maybe I'll think about glueing them down...

not to start anything here, but...,

based on the seahorse tank at CF, IMO branch rock looks amazing. its also dense enough to not float. its also very.... (how do i describe it) well branchy and can easily fill a tank up with caves... so a little bit goes a long way. why not scape you whole tank with branch rock? it might be too late... but just a thought.

either way, good luck!

Personally, I have a bucket of nice sized LR rubble. I'm gonna try to stick it together using PVC and holdfast epoxy. I can shape it any way I want. Just trying to save a little $$$ and set this tank up as cheaply as possible.

Of course, if it all comes crumbling down or floats (no offense) I'm going straight to the tonga!

If I'd set this tank up as a newbie it'd cost me at least 60% more than I've paid so far. Lights from Tim at ABC reefs. Tank, stand, canopy from Kenny at Petmart. Return pump from the used forum. Skimmer, a Tunze DOC from CF's used bin, DIY sump, DIY plumbing. LR....the jury's out....

AMAZING the green you can save by doin your homework and DIYing it!!!!

if u use epoxy, it shouldnt float at all. i think the foam caused it to float. PVC also sinks i believe.

Yer right on that! Coulda happened to anyone of us though.

Don't know how many DIY's I've done that look perfect then........DOH!!!

DIY's are what make this hobby fun... for some. its always nice to have the fact that YOU built whatever... instead of somebody/something else.

I don't like that epoxy stuff (the stuff you have knead right?). I'm not sure if it'l stick to PVC very well, I've tried using it before to stick a couple rocks together but it just did not work well...

I wanted to use only branch rock all along, but I can't afford more than a couple pounds of it. I'm sure if I saved up for awhile I could but to me it would just be a waste of money when I could make my own sweet looking rock structures.

Back