New setup, odor issue

freeswimmingfis

I set up a brand new JBJ 28g LED intermediate Nanocube. I used RODI, Fritz pro salt and a 20 lbs bag of "live sand". I think it was Caribsea?

It took forever for the "live sand" to settle and clear. In fact, moving the sand around and the tank still gets very cloudy.
The problem is, the tank has a moderate smell of sulfur. If I have my hands in the water, they come out smelling like sulfur till I wash them.
There is no "life" in the tank, I haven't ghost fed. There is no live rock. I was planning to add some Turbo Start to get the cycle going before I move my seahorses over.
Is the sand "bad"? Should I rinse it in saltwater? Should drain and start over with new sand and saltwater?
Or is this ok to continue?
Thanks
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its not just the dead things in the sand? When I was going through cycling with dry rock it smelled pretty bad. wife almost made me lose the tank but it stopped after cycle ended

Generally speaking a sulfur smell is associated with live rock, but you said you didn't have any in your tank so you could have something dead/ decomposing in your sand or maybe something else.

My "dry" sand smelled like the lake when I first added water to rinse it, but not like sulfur.

I just got off the phone with Caribsea to get an opinion about this. Without asking, they are sending a new bag to me ASAP!!
Customer service is still a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back