New Shallow Build!

There is a volcano tank build you might be interested in seeing. I see if I can find it for you.

Drilling another hole for your return??

I wasnt planning on it, are you asking me if I was going to? or suggesting that I do?..

His tank is amazing! I really like it... Did you happen to notice how he has his overflow?.. I wonder how well that design works? I havent read through his whole thread yet.

YESS! Ive seen this tank before and loved it! I totally forgot about it..

I was kinda leaning toward building my own DIY LED, but now after being reminded of his tank, I might be able to mimick it with 2 Par38 LED fixtures. One for each side, do you think that would work well?

Ditto, that was one of the inspirations of my tank

Yup, super nice!

I think a lot of the nano guys use the par38 bulbs.

I would have to defer to them. I'm sure the Chinese LEDs would work.

Haha, we have very similar taste then. Just watch, my tank will be the spitting image of yours, except I'll have 2 MP40s:p:worried:

and much smaller SPS colonies.......:hmm4:

Haha, yea well you frags will probably catch up to my colonies in no time. I can't seem to get mine to grow. Or maybe it's the "watched pot never boils" syndrome. I stare at my tank too much. Lol. I should take some pics of all the frags over the span of a month or two from the same angle / location and compare the pics for growth.

Every time I come over John your tank is growing or different. It looks great I have a frag tank I might do the same way not sure yet or jovanys style maybe. Did you decend on where your placing the tank yet, to figure out if your going to drill a return?

Well got some work done finally today on the stand. Copied the design from another build thread on here, worked out pretty well. Wayyyyy over built for this little frag tank but thats what I wanted so its all good.

Heres some pics:
20120810_172309.jpg

Top piece built first

20120810_172313.jpg

Then the identical bottom

20120810_174805.jpg

Leg support

20120810_190140.jpg

20120810_192727.jpg

And finished for now, till I figure out how I want to skin it all

Well its been really slow progress on my build, but im finally almost done with my stand. Got the last coat on it this morning and this is how she looks:

20120922_132950_zps5cb6bcb8.jpg

I also have a few questions regarding my plumbing.

I bought 2 bulkheads from one of the bird road stores (one for the drain and one for the return). They both fit perfectly but I ran into a problem when I went to Lowes the other day to buy the rest of my plumbing stuff. The threading on my bulkheads are way smaller than anything they sold in Lowes. So none of the PVC stuff will work. Any suggestions on what to do?

Well its been really slow progress on my build, but im finally almost done with my stand. Got the last coat on it this morning and this is how she looks:

20120922_132950_zps5cb6bcb8.jpg

I also have a few questions regarding my plumbing.

I bought 2 bulkheads from one of the bird road stores (one for the drain and one for the return). They both fit perfectly but I ran into a problem when I went to Lowes the other day to buy the rest of my plumbing stuff. The threading on my bulkheads are way smaller than anything they sold in Lowes. So none of the PVC stuff will work. Any suggestions on what to do?

The stand looks great! Just to make sure I'm on the same page. Are you trying to thread the exterior threads on the bulkhead? Or inside of it?

stand looks awesome

Thanks man

The stand looks great! Just to make sure I'm on the same page. Are you trying to thread the exterior threads on the bulkhead? Or inside of it?

Thanks the stand took forever.

The threads on the bulkhead are on the inside of it, ill try to snap a picture in a little bit so you can see what im talking about.

Im going to try out a plumbing store tomorrow to see if they have anything that will work for me.

Thanks man

Thanks the stand took forever.

The threads on the bulkhead are on the inside of it, ill try to snap a picture in a little bit so you can see what im talking about.

Im going to try out a plumbing store tomorrow to see if they have anything that will work for me.

Ok just wanted to be sure. PVC should thread right into it. Look at the threads and make sure they aren't damaged.

Ok just wanted to be sure. PVC should thread right into it. Look at the threads and make sure they aren't damaged.

Ohhh, no the threads are def not damaged. Theyre just clearly different sizes. And I cant find anything to fit them

Maybe the bulkheads are a different schedule size than the PVC you're trying to use? Try schedule 80 or if vice versa try 40... To save yourself headache may be easier to switch out the bulk heads

Maybe the bulkheads are a different schedule size than the PVC you're trying to use? Try schedule 80 or if vice versa try 40... To save yourself headache may be easier to switch out the bulk heads

Maybe that could be it. Does the schedule number indicate the sizing of the threads?

Heres some pics:

IMG_20120924_184932.jpg

IMG_20120924_184948.jpg

And heres the tank on the stand

IMG_20120924_162412.jpg

IMG_20120924_162433.jpg

Back