New shallow FO tank (stocking suggestions)

ufbrad24

Hi guys, I just got a steal on an acrylic 72" x 36" x 16" tank with built in overflows from a store that closed. Substrate will be fine sand which I am transferring from my 90 gallon that I am selling (mixed with another 100 pounds or so of new sand). I will build the tank around a coral cat shark (which will be added months from now once cycling is done and all levels are steady). Running sump with two ASM skimmers (a G1X and G2), refugium and remote deep sand bed. Looking for stocking ideas for tank mates that will go well with the cat shark. Only fish being transferred from my 90 are a yellow tang, maroon clown and 2 chromis. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
The clowns and chromis will limit your possibilities.

A blue spotted stingray (Taeniura lymma) would be a nice addition.

I considered doing a yellow stingray or Cortez stingray as they seem to be somewhat better suited for aquariums. I am planning on doing live rock around the center area (where the overflow is) and then leaving a lot of open swimming room throughout the tank. I will build a cave into the rock work for the shark. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys (and gals).

If the little guys are out of the lineup then I would add a grouper like the Miniatus. It is always a crowd pleasure when people come to see my tank. If you want some contant movement I would add a wrasse like a Lunare or Lutescens but add them last. I would add another tang like the Hepatus to help with any algae. That is just what I would do but with a tank that size you have lots of options. Do keep us posted on what you decide.

Will do. I am building the stand this weekend and will get some pics up once things get going. I thought about a Miniatus but didn't know if the tank height (16") would be a problem or not.

Mine doesn't really go up into the tank very high and they prefer to stay close to overhangs where they would normally ambush prey from. Check out my thread in this section with my grouper and a cleaner shrimp.

They can hide a lot when newly introduced and they are somewhat shy for there size. After they settle in they are a lot more social with people they recognize. Mine will actually let me stroke his side as long as no one else is in the room. As soon as someone walks to the doorway it runs for the nearest overhang. The more time you spend around the tank the more it becomes comfortable with you.

If you overfeed them they will go and hide and digest their food. The key is to limit feeding so that they are always on the move looking for food and greeting you as the food provider. Same techniques as with eels. If you provide lots of overhangs for them to hang out under and an open rock work you will see them more then if they have to hide in that solid rock wall look that some tanks have.

Back