New Sump setup - question one!

ZoMan

I am trying to install a new sump on a new 125g tank after 20 years of exterior filtration and 100g. salt water tanks. Technically, that makes me a sump newbie.

The Mega Flow system I purchased has dual nozzles, and they will not bend to both exit separately from the tank on opposite sides of the overflow canister. I have them both coming out on one side.

My question is, the two dual nozzles will both be coming out of the overflow canisters on each side of the tank in such a fashion as to be sending their flow to the corner of the tank, i.e., the right one to the right corner and the left one to the left corner. Should I do something to create a circular flow in the tank, or let them flow and compette woith each other? Should I use some other configuration that I haven't thought of? I don't want a stagnant area in the center, but can't think of a way for the return dual nozzles returning flow to create a good flow sytem for the tank. I do have an internal propeller pump to help.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "overflow canisters" but with regard to the return nozzles in the tank, its a good idea to point them so the two streams collide in the middle of the tank to cause random turbulence. Even then, it really depends on how your rocks are arranged. It usually takes some experimenting and will change over time as corals grow or are added and alter the pattern of water circulation in the tank.

i agree. pointed towards each other for random flow is best, but i also would recommend some extra flow. any type of powerhead will work.

Indydog:

They actually can't be pointed at each other. The tank overflow configuration won't allow it, and I can't point the dual nozzles at themselves simply because they are not flexible enough. I guess I will try to use the propeller to create uneven flow. Now I just have to figure out how to hook it to the sump and get the skimmer in AFTER getting the incorrectly sized bulkhead off the bottom of the tank. I know....stupid mistake, but it fit the hole and I was tired and working alone, upside down and just grabbed the wrong one. Megaflow includes and alternate bulkhead in case both holes in the overflow are drilled the same size. It was suggested I use channel lock pliers to get the original plastic nut off since I got it too tight.

Edit: I got it! I took the tank off of the stand with the help of three lab students and used BOTH tools provided with the two megaflow kits to minimize stripping. One down, only a few to go! Thanks for the help guys! Stick around..... I may need more help!

Really, thanks! By the way, in order to hedge my bets, I posted this in the lighting and filtration thread as well. I hope that was OK. If not, let me know so that I can follow proper protocol. I just hadn't received a lot of help from my initial query over there.

Ken

Last edited:
Back