New TANK HELP

You figured out the mistake and corrected it FAR faster than most of us did when starting. You're off to a good start.

One thing no one else mentioned--even if fully cycled, that may have been too much fish for that tank.

My plan is to purchase a 180 gallon in February, I was told that the two clowns, foxface and yellow tang would be fine in the 55 for maybe a year but I would have to upgrade to a bigger tank for the foxface and tang, I got this setup from craigslist for 200 for everything so I was just trying to get my foot in the door and learn as much as I could from this one and really go all out on the new setup, I was told from the LFS that for what I had and the upgrade I am planning that it would be fine. I plan on just putting the two clowns in the tank until February now and then work the some others into the mix to be ready for the new tank and use my 55 as a qt for the new fish and take that tank to a coral only once the new tank is set up and running but to have that size of a tank if the new one was to ever crash seems like a good idea.

update on the ammonia level, got up this morning and checked all the levels and the ammonia has dropped to zero but nitrates and nitrites are still up

update on the ammonia level, got up this morning and checked all the levels and the ammonia has dropped to zero but nitrates and nitrites are still up

Cool beans, you're on your way, almost there!
Shouldn't take long for nitrites to drop.

Back