new tank help

bryon0508

i have a 55 gal
10 gal sump
normal lights (t-8) i plan on updating them when the cash comes in to t-5s
has been set up for 2 weeks and went through the cycle completly
i have 50 lbs of live rock
deep sand bed 5 inchish

i need my clean up crew little money to spend and i was wondering what i need to get first or should i get one of each ?

Well not sure when your cycle ended.... but it is always best to wait a week after that to make sure it is completly done with the cycle.

As for clean up crew...... hermits, snails, crabs, possible urchin, possible sea cucumber. www.liveaquaria.com has "Clean-Up Crew" packages. It has different ones for different size tanks. Take a look on there and find the closest one to a 55g. It'll tell you how many of each thing you get.... just to give you an idea.

Personally........... I'd only get hermits and snails. If you get a HUGE blooom of algae then throw in a urchin. Then once your ready to add livestock.... get rid of the hermits. Hermits will kill snails for their shell, and I'm not buying all those snails just to feed hermits.

you can pretty much buy any combo of cleaners.. I wouldnt throw to many in there at first.. stick with nessarius and cerith snails.. one of the two burrow(I believe its nessarius but I alwasy get them confused, the one that has a long white tentacle and hangs out of its shell) in the sand and keep it stirred up which is good for a deep sandbed IMO. Id also look into conchs in the future they are cheap and really cool, they also burrow.. Id throw 6-12 snails in for now and in a week ad something else little.. try to hang away from astrea snails not that there bad, but they seem to die easy and I dont believe they can flip themselves over if they are on there back as easy as other snails.. I also liked serpent stars which are decent for eating crap and dead stuff on the bottom.. gl

"thx but could i just like buy just snails at first or is it best to buy all at the same time"...
Yes...buy them as you go along

what about Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp are they hard to keep I read they help clean the fish and help them stay healthy by eating parisites from the fish.

Back