New Tank Journey - Restarting After 15 Years Away!

bzbatl

Moved this out of the New To Hobby sub - wanted to use this thread to document my journey back into this hobby.

I once ran 7 separate tank systems, varying from a tiny bowfront nanoreef with clownfish and mushrooms at my desk at work, all the way up to a 300 gallon with aggressive fish and a rescued remora that I eventually donated to an aquarium in Florida.

But... that was 15 years ago. Looking through threads and seeing new systems from my friends makes me realize how much things have incredibly changed. Kalkwasser was novel and folks had just started getting into DIY LED fixtures when I shut down my last tank!

I've acquired a drilled 90 gallon (unfortunately the overflow is on the left side, but can't argue the price) that will need some cleanup. I'm in the process of designing the stand to match our built-in bookcases. So far my spend:

RODI cheapo unit from Amazon: $58
RO hose adapter: $7
Bucket of Instant Ocean: $36
80GPH pump to mix: $8
7Gal potable container: $15
Digital TDS Meter: $0

I hooked up the RODI unit and I'm getting readings <3ppm. Going to let it run some more until I get a little closer to 0.

I'm planning on using a 20gal long for the sump, and would like a refugium with DSB. My other planned purchases:

- Reef Octopus Skimmer 110-INT ($200)
- DC Sump Pump, somewhere around 1000GPH ($100)
- Reef Breeders 48" ($700)
- 60-80lbs of dry rock ($100)
- 100-150 lbs of aragonite ($50)
- 300W Fluval E heater ($50)
- Acrylic baffles (??)

Based on my design, I believe my base cabinet is going to cost around $80 to build, plus paint. The cabinet doors should be another $80.

Very excited, and can't wait for the next few months to be gone!

Stand progress:

$28 spent at Lowes for sticks, glue, and a new pack of 2" exterior screws.

Using the old stand for reference, I modified the Rocket design slightly.

First, cut all my lengths for the top and bottom frames @ 48.5" and 15.75", as I wanted about a 1/4" play front to back.

Milled them on the table saw at 3-1/4" width, then a second pass at 3" to get them all relatively straight and cut off the rounded edges.

Cut a piece of 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood to the exact dimensions to use as a screw template to assist with assembly. Lined up the sticks on the board and screwed it down, then used PL Premium and screws to attach. Removed the BB panel and clamped it up.

On the second set of sticks for the bottom, I cut a 1/2" rabbet along one edge of each stick. This will hold the 1/2" BB panel for the lower shelf.

Recut the BB panel to fit in the bottom frame, glued, clamped, and put the panel inside the recess to square it up.

Cut the legs, but ripped three of them to 1-1/2" widths. The full 3.5" goes on the horizontal, the 1.5" goes on the 15" side. Both front and back have a 1.5" centered.

The entire thing will be skinned with 1/4" baltic birch ply, and cabinet doors will be mounted. I'm planning on putting a decorative panel at the top to simulate a drawer.

Progress Photos:
https://imgur.com/gallery/N5MXXKr

Pictures did not work for me.
Welcome back.
For making a stand I found engineered wood to be the best, straight and does not warp, holds a screw, a lot of 2x4 are junk. Or I go to a real lumber store and ask for Douglas fir that would be used for a patio cover, much higher quality wood and I have them cut it as well. Good luck and happy reefing.

Back