new tank need equipment

kwws

I am going to be setting up a 175 gallon bow front with dual over flows. This is my first reef ready tank, so I have a few questions. How much flow should I expect from these so I can decide on a return pump. I would also like to go with a 72" t-5 light fixture any suggestions.
This tank is more than double what I have now,what should I expect with this size tank so any suggestion on anything else would be helpful

It really depends on what you want to keep. You should expect to spend some more money. But large tanks are fun. You don't need a high rate of flow through your sump maybe in the 1000 GPH range. Light I don't know always used MH's. So good luck keep updating.

8-10x tank volume of turnover per hour is a good start for return sizing. 72" t5 are not made I dont think. (too skinny) t 12's maybe a better choice- not as fragile either. Im a big Halide guy as well. How deep is the tank? 24"? Sand bed? What are you keeping? as ckranz said, the lighting will be driven by your desired inhabitants. I learned a lot reading the TOTM articles in Reef keeping magazine about big system builds. I modelled mine after a guy in the midwest double J i think... TOTM feb 08?

Have fun... hope you've checked out some pricing as the larger you go the more EXPENSIVE each component becomes!!!

Go MH/t5 combo

I am thing of going with this light fixture Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 What is your opinion of this light and is any adding on led to this?

From what I was reading in one of the sticky's yesterday, you want to multiply your tank volume by 3-5. So if your setting up a 175g tank, the least amount of return pump flow will be 525gph and the most will be 875gph. You don't need a ton of return flow, tank flow comes via powerheads or from a closed loop system.

Large tanks are much easier to maintain stable water conditions. Think long and hard about what you intend to stock in the tank and then light accordingly. I for one never have enough time to do it right and doing it over is costly! Good luck.

I agree on the Iwaki vote. They are rock solid. Bought a spare 2 years ago and forgot about it.

Back