New Tank - Params odd

apstreck

Just did a full test on my new reef tank (transfer from old tank) and getting some strange numbers. I used 100% new saltwater, tropic marin salt, and results were as followed.
SG: 1.023
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5
Mg: 1800
Ca: 340
dKH: 7.8

I know salinity is low, I must have just lost some SW volume due to skimmer and ATO overcompensated. Working on that now. But its the high Mg and low Ca and alk that have me baffled.... test is within date, each time I repeated twice to confirm. User error or is this possible?

Could be your problem, they are designed to mixed up in one batch, the ingredients are not mixed well, especially in five gallon pails, I use to roll them around on the floor before use

I agree that the salt mix might be the problem. If it's easy to do, a second opinion on the test kit might be worthwhile, too. Those numbers are bad, but within the limits of bad salt issues we've seen.

Who really expects us to be mixing 220 gallons at a time... it's an outrageous assumption for the average hobbyist

i mix 200 at a clip, i know everybody can not do this, a lot due, if it is indeed a mix problem, most times salt can be purchased in smaller sizes.

Most of the time salt mixes hold their homogeneity; sometimes they settle out but not often IME. I don't premix mine dry by batch but it's not a bad idea and some do it routinely; never had a major issue in over 10 years ;bad batches or a bad test are possibilities.

Back