New tank

dirt1008

Well I've been a member here for a little while, kinda lurking about, reading. Now I've finally started my own tank. It's a 55 that I got for free. I wanted a 20L for a sump so I had to do some modification, remove center brace then reinforce, to fit it in the stand.
unudy8e7.jpg

Here it is doing a leak test (my wife had to put the rocks and sand in) after I rebuilt the stand and stained it.
nyje7ery.jpg

So the tank held up and so didn't the stand. I hooked up an RODI in the garage, and also got a QT tank
uve3e4u8.jpg

5equsyge.jpg

Finally the Lifereef overflow arrived and I could start running everything. After running a month my cycle was finally over and my lights arrived, so I bought a pair of clowns
ate8y9yp.jpg

y3ama4ah.jpg

y4are2aq.jpg

I got a neck ache from tilting my head to see the photos! LOL!!

Looking good. Nice to see a good plan come to fruition.

Aww really? That stinks. I have tapatalk and they're all upright on my phone. Sorry, but yea it's really exciting!

Looks like you're off to a good start. Those rocks on the right side look like they could topple at some point. Do you have them secured with epoxy or anything?

No other comments? I guess I'm like a proud parent who thinks their ugly child is a supermodel lol

LOL!! Looks good, man. Give it time, it's still a baby, a supermodel in the making!

A little nitpick, but you may get better flow around the macro and rocks in the refugium if you lengthen that pipe so that the water enters close to the outside wall, and submerge the pipe halfway down. Maybe even angle it against the glass so it rebounds all around that section before it flows over the baffle. Like I said, just a little nitpick, since everything is looking good.

How long has the tank been running?

New tank

That pipe does go down, about half way maybe more, and I have a large rock right under it so its dispersed pretty good I think. It's been running about 6-7 weeks

Just an odd question but why did you set up a QT and then not use it?

The stand looks great with the natural wood stain. Did you polyurethane coat it? Helps prevent water damage.

Also the aquascape came out nice. I like the natural overhang look.

Just an odd question but why did you set up a QT and then not use it?

The stand looks great with the natural wood stain. Did you polyurethane coat it? Helps prevent water damage.

Also the aquascape came out nice. I like the natural overhang look.

I didn't QT the fish because I got them from a friend and they've been healthy

Is this your first tank? looks great. Post more pics as you add stuff (just don't jump the gun / take your time)

What are your plans for livestock?

New tank

I had a ten gallon a few years ago, but I didn't have a skimmer, and I used tap water, and my lights weren't that great. I really want to have a lot of corals in this tank, and a Green Mandarin. I really appreciate the comments everybody.

Last edited:
That's an insane improvement then. Do you want suggestions? The one thing that I would invest in if you don't already have one is a controller...

That's an insane improvement then. Do you want suggestions? The one thing that I would invest in if you don't already have one is a controller...

Thank you, and yes I always want suggestions. Why is it that you recommend a controller?

Thank you, and yes I always want suggestions. Why is it that you recommend a controller?

They just make your life so much easier and let you enjoy the hobby more. I'd definitely look them up. Ask anyone that has one if they'd ever run a tank without one again... :)

Apex controllers and Reef Angels are my two favorites.

That's all for a few weeks at least
Excited to see the progress here - keep us updated. If you add stuff to the fuge, take pics of that too...

When your tank gets going for awhile, I'd add some scuds and other pods as well. My tanks always seem to do 10x better with them

6-7 week old tank. Seems like you are starting your stony corals a little early. That's fine, so long as you know what you are doing.

Stonies demand a stable tank, with stable parameters. Here's a link to ideal tank parameters: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php . You'll need precise test kits for calcium, alk, and magnesium, in addition to the basic ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests. My tank is about 90% stonies, and I try to keep my salinity at 1.026SG/35ppt, alk at 8 dKH, calcium 440ppm, magnesium 1340ppm. Stonies are particularly sensitive to any ammonia and nitrite, and can only tolerate a low level of nitrate. Ideally, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate should be zero. You can click on my homepage under my avatar to see my tank build, with the latest FTS on the last page.

Do you have an ATO yet? This should be your very next equipment purchase if you don't, IMO. Not only does it help keep the salinity stable and help the tank, it will save you from one of the most mundane and boring chores. I'm not keen on controllers, and don't plan on getting one even though the tank is over 3 years old. I do use dosers, but that a whole other story, best saved for when your tank is more mature and it's demands outstrip water changes capability

6-7 week old tank. Seems like you are starting your stony corals a little early. That's fine, so long as you know what you are doing.

Stonies demand a stable tank, with stable parameters. Here's a link to ideal tank parameters: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php . You'll need precise test kits for calcium, alk, and magnesium, in addition to the basic ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests. My tank is about 90% stonies, and I try to keep my salinity at 1.026SG/35ppt, alk at 8 dKH, calcium 440ppm, magnesium 1340ppm. Stonies are particularly sensitive to any ammonia and nitrite, and can only tolerate a low level of nitrate. Ideally, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate should be zero. You can click on my homepage under my avatar to see my tank build, with the latest FTS on the last page.

Do you have an ATO yet? This should be your very next equipment purchase if you don't, IMO. Not only does it help keep the salinity stable and help the tank, it will save you from one of the most mundane and boring chores. I'm not keen on controllers, and don't plan on getting one even though the tank is over 3 years old. I do use dosers, but that a whole other story, best saved for when your tank is more mature and it's demands outstrip water changes capability

+1 on everything said here (except the controller thing) I have never heard someone say they didn't like using controllers so I am interested in hearing why (especially since I think you give good advice - after reading so many of your posts)

+1 on everything said here (except the controller thing) I have never heard someone say they didn't like using controllers so I am interested in hearing why (especially since I think you give good advice - after reading so many of your posts)

IMO, and I stress IMO :), it's about cost containment and the KISS principle. This hobby is expensive enough, and costs can really balloon quickly. In place of a controller, I have BM doser and a Tunze ATO. The lights already have a built-in clock/timer, and the heater rarely goes on in the winter, never in the summer. That's probably all my tank requires and way cheaper than getting a controller. Now, If you want to get fancy and have a controller control your lights, chiller, heater, hood fans, ATO, some reactors, etc., while keeping an eye on pH, ORP, temperature (all with graphs, too!), then that's fine. But it goes against the KISS principle. IMO, anyway :) . Now, if they have a controller with a probe that will continuously monitor alk, cal, and mag, and adjust the dosing appropriately I might reconsider :D

Back