new tank

locogears

Hi everyone, I just set up a 30 gallon Oceanic tank with live sand and about 35# of cured live rock. I have a Sergeant Major Damsel in there for cycling and a bio wheel 350 with phosphate socks. Just need any and all advice for taking my time and making the tank work well. It is just going to be a FOWLR tank, unless the Current T5 HO will allow some hardier corals.

testing your waters parameters will be good practice in order to maintain your nitrates and other traces down. Depending on your type of rock I can sometimes leach phosphates (ie pukani) so testing will make you aware of any spikes if there are any.

You can definitely get some hardier coral like Z and P. They will definitely survive under all sort of condition. Be careful of what type of fish you put in though.

Why are you cycling with fish? Don't you know that's considered old school and inhumane? You'll be sorry you did this once you decide to add more fish. 9 times out of 10that damsel will kill off all newcomers. Why? He's already has claimed the whole tank as his territory.

Get him out and let your tank cycle naturally for 8-12 weeks until EVERYTHING reads zero and stays stabilized. Cycle with a piece of raw shrimp instead or simply ghost feed your tank with flakes.

I'd ditch the HOB filter. Invest in a skimmer instead. They do a far better job keeping your tank cleaner.

Well said

Well said

Yeah I took him out and threw in a raw shrimp, the water was tested and there were all zeros. I hear what you are saying and I appreciate the advice. Does it make a difference if the rock is fully cured?

Why are you cycling with fish? Don't you know that's considered old school and inhumane? You'll be sorry you did this once you decide to add more fish. 9 times out of 10that damsel will kill off all newcomers. Why? He's already has claimed the whole tank as his territory.

Get him out and let your tank cycle naturally for 8-12 weeks until EVERYTHING reads zero and stays stabilized. Cycle with a piece of raw shrimp instead or simply ghost feed your tank with flakes.

I'd ditch the HOB filter. Invest in a skimmer instead. They do a far better job keeping your tank cleaner.

What are Z and P? And what fish would you recommend? You can pm me if its easier

You can definitely get some hardier coral like Z and P. They will definitely survive under all sort of condition. Be careful of what type of fish you put in though.

Like any zoanthids or palys. Once ur tank is cycle, check the parameters such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc. Once everything checks out. You can go to liveaquaria.com and check out the nano fish section under marine fish tab. Those fish under that section would work for ya. Once you figure out what you like, you can go to your local fish store(LFS) for the fish. Hope this helps a little.

Back