New to dslr

Mav01

I just purchased a canon Rebel T6i, came with 2 lenses, both 58mm zoom, one is 18-55mm and the other 55-250. I am able to make a fairly good photos with the limited macro these lenses provide but I can't seem to figure out how to change the settings to get the crystal clear pictures in different lighting that you guys all use. Do I need a type of filter for the lens. And what type of macro lens is recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased a canon Rebel T6i, came with 2 lenses, both 58mm zoom, one is 18-55mm and the other 55-250. I am able to make a fairly good photos with the limited macro these lenses provide but I can't seem to figure out how to change the settings to get the crystal clear pictures in different lighting that you guys all use. Do I need a type of filter for the lens. And what type of macro lens is recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up my dslr a while back, but I found the the white balance is the main factor. Using a bright white card in the tank to custom adjust the white balance will give more accurate color to the shots.
Also be sure your shooting in RAW format so you can have more post processing options.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085398

Also the glass type plays a major factor, if the glass is even slightly curved (lika a nano or biocube) quality shots are hard to get if the subject isnt right up near the lens and straight on. If your having a hard time manual focusing on a tripod then its probably the glass.

Put up some shots. We're happy to help.

My macro lens is the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM. It is attached to my 6D.

Yes, turn off your pumps, use a tripod, a remote trigger release (or self timer) to avoid jiggling the camera when you activate the shutter and shoot straight through the glass.

You don't have to set the white balance manually in camera when shooting RAW. Set it while post processing. You can set it manually, and it will help out of the camera jpgs look better, but it doesn't affect the RAW file contents as the camera doesn't apply white balance to the RAW image. I don't bother.

Some people with very blue LED lighting are also using orange gel filters to help. My lights are MH which are easy to white balance during post.

Remember the min focal length on those lenses will also affect your shots. I have had some pretty good shots with longer and shorter lenses, but you'll have to adjust your tripod's position. A remote trigger can be had for $5-10 on Amazon. The generic ones work quite well. Don't cheap out on a tripod. I still haven't dropped painful money on one, but even a $60 tripod is of mediocre quality IME. I would not spend much less than that. I bought this one for about $50-60 a year or 2 ago and it's due for replacement

Dolica AX620B100

It's a little flimsy, but is good enough for my T5i in stable conditions. I'll be buying a better one next time around.

Shooting in RAW and editing in Lightroom is a huge help for all of your photography. It's especially helpful shooting in your tank.

Back