New to MH and have a question

JoeMomma

I'm new to the whole metal halide game and therefore am not sure what I can do.

I just picked up a reflector with a used 175 watt bulb and old ratty ballast. I'd like to have more light output. Would I be able to switch the ballast for a new 250W and use a new 250W bulb? Are all single ended bulbs able to connect to the same socket?

Thanks! :)

it all depends on the reflector.

some reflectors are large enough to hold any mogul SE lamp while others are not. some also have the ability to slide the socket in an out of the reflector to allow the bulb to fit.

find out what reflector you have and do a search.

Your reflector can probably only handle a 175 watt bulb. I would just buy a new 175 ballast and bulb.

What size tank are you putting this 175 over? Or what is the depth of the tank and what kind of corals are you planning on having?
Depending on the depth and size of the tank, you might want to go w/ a 250. They are not that much more expensive and you might need it.

Speaking from experience, I would put the brightest mh setup on your tank as possible w/o burning your corals. Buy something that when you decide to upgrade, (which most of us do) you don't have to upgrade lights.

He was asking more about whether or not his reflector could use a different bulb and ballast. Of course the reflector is generally the cheap part, so if your going to upgrade the other 2 parts, for an extra $100 you could have an entire brand new setup.

The reflectors are lumen brights.

I'd like to use one of them at 250 watts on my frag tank and when I switch my 120 gallon FOWLR over to a reef i'll use them both at 250s. If I can't up them from 175 to 250s then I'll just get one 175 watt ballast.

These reflectors are pretty huge. I'd hope they can handle the larger bulb, and from what I've been reading th socket assembly is adjustable.

Last edited:
any reflectors i have used 175 and 250 bulbs. i actually just bought a 250 bulb, sps blue life, that was SMALLER than my xm 175

Back