New Ultra Maxima Clam Eaten by Hermit Crabs

eho72

I just bought 2 ultra colored maxima clams from Diver's Den and received them yesterday. I dripped acclimatedate them and left the light off for 4 hours. Before I went to bed, they were both showing great colors with the mantle fully opened. This morning, I got up and see one of my hermit eating away at the smaller clam that is about 1 3/4". The other clam was next to it and is closed. I imaged the hermits were trying to work on it too. So now, do I remove all hermits from my 120g tank to try and save the other clam? From my reading, these hermits should only go after the clam that is nearly dead. This does not seems like the case here. I also have a cleaner shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimps, and and fire shrimp. Are shrimps safe with clams? That was one expensive meal the hermits had last night.

i have 7 shrimp in w/ my clams. no crabs, no probs. crabs can eat most anything if they are hungry or aggressive, despite them being hermits. small clams are just difficult. that's all there is to it. shipping/dark/ bad water during shipping, tossing, then acclimation. it's hard on them, worse than on big clams.

Thanks for the insight. I am a clam noob. Will move the 7 hermits to my dad's nano tank and keep the shrimps right where they are. The remaining maxima clam is 2" so it's a little bigger. Seems to be able to fight off those devil crabs better than the little one.

i'd think, in general, most hermits would stay away from a healthy clam, but i don't wanna mix them anyway.

Back