New wife and her setup

Cshabz

Hey guys,

Upgrading from a 32G gf tank to an 228G wife tank - thought id share with all how she's been going..

It's from a friend so he had it setup with a few fish and corals, I've since added some of my own corals from the 32 - at the movement I'm sanding the whole cabinet down to repaint a nicer colour for the house

A list of the stock below, let me know if I'm doing wrong or right and what you think!

Thanks guys

Corals
Green mushroom
Bubble coral
Condy Anomene
Leather
Mushrooms
Duncan
Short tentacle plate
Frog Spawn
Catalaphyllia/Elegance
Devils hand/ Leather
donut
Flower Coral

Fish
Unicorn Tang
Blue trigger
Pink tail trigger
Maroon clown
Chromis
Lipstick tang
Fox face

Invertebrates
Linckia Sea Star
Sea erchin
Snails

5a2e6y5y.jpg

6ury4e8y.jpg

puha2ubu.jpg

erenu5eh.jpg

vypy4udy.jpg

ydute6a5.jpg

mujezu3e.jpg

ybe5anes.jpg

seze2uva.jpg

uruzyzyj.jpg

Lol.. I'm not actually married but I think I'm obsessed enough with this tank to name it a wife

Anyone think I can add a black ribbon or snow flake eel in there? My actual gf likes them

Its possible but not recommended. If you really do want to get an eel get a snowflake and make sure to keep it well fed.

Why is it not recommended? Their safety or other inhabitants?

I've been trying to read on both and their feeding seems to be an issue

Why is it not recommended? Their safety or other inhabitants?

I've been trying to read on both and their feeding seems to be an issue

From personal experience, snowflake eels are easy to keep the issue is that they like to snack on your cleanup crew, without a cuc detritus can build up and cause water quality issues. There are definitely ways around it and the corals you mention are some of the "easier" ones to keep so this may not be a huge concern for you. Be aware snowflakes may take a liking to smaller unsuspecting fish.

I see no shirt in the reflection. Spending some quality time with the lady friend eh? You dog you

Hey guys,

The rigatoni looking stuff is carbon noodles and the unicorn came with the tank so I'm looking for your advise tbh, guessing it can outgrow the tank? I've read they're good with 300+g tanks but was hoping I didn't have to get rid of. Him because previous owner didn't make right choice..

Damn, you think the large snails would be a snack? I have a few chromises but won't be adding any too small fish, flame angel min size..

I replaced it 3 times in the first 72 hours of having the tank running but then have left it to fortnightly, what you think?

LOL @ the comment, believe me when I tell you, I get up at 4am just to go get a drink or bathroom which I can do upstairs but will go down and sit infront of the tank n watch haha

The unicorn is cool. It looks like it has alot of swimming room. Obviously its not your fault since it came with the tank. If you love it keep it for awhile but at the same time look for a backup home for it. Its not that easy to find to many people in one area that have 300 plus gallon tanks.

Personally I'd suggest getting rid of the LED fuge light and the bio rounds in the fuge and replacing it with a clip on light and cheato from a local tank. Otherwise I'm very jealous of the large tank footprint.

Ye I thought as much, he's a cool fella.. Was a bit dominant after the move but has balanced out with the addition of the lipstick tang
My LFS has a few very large tanks setup with a couple of sharks and large fish.. So will probably try give him back for some store credit or so..

Hey Felix, awesome, someone has mentioned one of my biggest confusions..

I honestly want to rearrange the sump to accommodate a fuge.. At the moment as u can see, after the overflow there's two baffles with the ceramic noodles and LR rubble then a large section for the skimmer and return.. I've been worried about adding the fuge before the skimmer.. I've heard it pretty much kills any pods that could export back.. What do you think?
Take out the contents of second baffle and just add LR and cheato? If I add pods for a mandrin would it work?

Ye I thought as much, he's a cool fella.. Was a bit dominant after the move but has balanced out with the addition of the lipstick tang
My LFS has a few very large tanks setup with a couple of sharks and large fish.. So will probably try give him back for some store credit or so..

Hey Felix, awesome, someone has mentioned one of my biggest confusions..

I honestly want to rearrange the sump to accommodate a fuge.. At the moment as u can see, after the overflow there's two baffles with the ceramic noodles and LR rubble then a large section for the skimmer and return.. I've been worried about adding the fuge before the skimmer.. I've heard it pretty much kills any pods that could export back.. What do you think?
Take out the contents of second baffle and just add LR and cheato? If I add pods for a mandrin would it work?

Some pods would get sucked up by the skimmer but not all some will make it to your display.

If I had that setup the first thing I would do is remove all of those ceramic pieces and just have the rubble in there. Then I would cut a good bit off of each of the downpipes going into your sump and get two hang on filter sock mounts for the downpipes. Then I would add a big chunk of cheato to the section just before your skimmer.

One more thing I cant see past the skimmer. If there is another piece of acrylic before your return pump I would make the area that contains your skimmer your fuge and knock out that middle baffle between the two sections of ceramic and put the skimmer in there.

That's just me though.:hammer:

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I might actually do that..
Havent been able to find cheato around any of my LFS

And your thought is actually what I wanted to do, after the skimmer there are no baffles just skimmer, heater and return..

But a mate was discussing and we were thinking to add another tAnk for standalone fuge..

So you guys don't think having the skimmer after the fuge is a problem? Or basically cancels the benifits of having a fuge?

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I might actually do that..
Havent been able to find cheato around any of my LFS

And your thought is actually what I wanted to do, after the skimmer there are no baffles just skimmer, heater and return..

But a mate was discussing and we were thinking to add another tAnk for standalone fuge..

So you guys don't think having the skimmer after the fuge is a problem? Or basically cancels the benifits of having a fuge?

Wont cancel the benefits at all. One thing you are definitely going to want to do though is separate your skimmer from the same section as your return pump. If you have your skimmer in the same section the water level will be constantly fluctuating and your skimmer will get mixed results. You want a constant water level for optimal skimmer function.

There is an easy way to make a baffle once your sump is filled and you can separate the two. Here's a link.http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm
It requires some cutting but any hardware store will cut the size that you need.

From the size of your stand I'm guessing you have some more space on the right side so you could definitely do a separate fuge. You just have to make sure you have the same input and output flow from your fuge.

Hey, thanks whos, that's awesome, I'm gonna read through the website, if I can manage ye will be def doing that very soon..

Thanks for the skimmer tip, it's very true.. I feel it now, having to readjust the skimmer flow..

I do have the space on the right.. Was hoping to keep some space to make the electricals neat but if it's the only way then guess I will do..

Thank you for the info :) please feel free to input on future updates

Johnni - haha, thank you

Hell of an upgrade. Your wife is gorgeous! Doesn't seem like she'd be jealous of the gf either. Haha
Look forward to seeing progress pictures.

Back