New Wireless pumps from Jebao RW-8 & RW-15

Ok I have been emailing rockymtnfireman, the ebay seller I bought it from, he has contacted Jebao and they believe it is a bad motor and he is sending me out a replacement. Good customer service, I'm impressed. If this works out I will be needing two more and will buy them from him.

skeeter

Yes. It'll do fine. Just dial it to 10% there's a mod for it if you need itto be less flow.

I got it in today and set it up in my 10g. Holy cow. It's so powerful I had to set it to "C" mode at 10%. Very happy. It also works well in W1 at 10-20% but it blows a little bit of sand. I may have to play around with placement but so far it's a great upgrade from the Koralia nano.
Thanks again for the spot on advice Zack.

Edit to add: I found a post earlier in this thread that says to use a 12v power supply to cut the power in half. It works beautifully and I can now use any type of flow setting! Amazing.

Last edited:
Jebao RW-8 review:

First of all, here are some other items I've had to compare it to... Tunze 6025's w/ all the mods, Ecotech MP40s, Jebao WP40.

Tank Setup: 150g (48x24x30 tall) The tank has very open rock-work with a built in pond foam and rock scape with a few ledges and foam bottom (ie bare bottom but looks like it is rock) Top is completely open with two radion LED's hanging from the ceiling.

Background: I had been running 2 Ecotech MP40s on one side (on 6in from top and 1 6in from bottom) with a WP40 on the far side. I decided to get these RW8s because my 2 MP40's were just too loud for the Sig Other and I knew if I wanted to keep the tank I would have to keep her happy. ;) I had a WP40 already, but after a few years it was having difficulty starting so any of the wave functions were out of the question. At first I put two modded Tunze nanostreams on the side where the MP40's were, but that just wasn't enough flow (2 6025's and an old WP40).

Main Review:
Design - The RW8's arrived and I put them on opposite sides of the tank, and left one 6025 aimed straight down to blow out this one spot and behind a rock where most of my detritus seemed to settle. First thing I noticed was that the RW-8 has a good mount, but it cant quite match the adjustability of the tunze and WP-40. It only pivots up and down. If I want to aim it towards the back of the tank I have to change the axis of the mount and then the cord sticks out at odd angles. The pumps are WAY smaller than the old WP40... and are about the same size as a Tunze NanoStream.

Flow: Flow is about as wide as the bigger WP40 and just as strong, if not a bit stronger. Flow is WAY more than the modded nano streams and probably comparable to the Eco MP40, but you can adjust the direction which you cant on the ecotech. That allowed me to aim them down and slightly back to eliminate most dead spots. You should have seen all the nasty CRUD these things kicked up when I turned them on. I couldn't even see into the tank it was so nasty. It took a few hours to clear up a little, and a day or more to get back to clear. To me, this means that the pumps were doing a good job of keeping all the crud in suspension and not letting it just settle to another dead spot.

Initial problem: These things were LOUD. One of them made a high pitch whining sound and the other was just as loud as the MP40 it was replacing. I thought I had just wasted $120. :( Then I remembered that the WP40 was pretty loud when I got it, so I decided to just leave them up and hope they would settle in. Well it worked... Within about 48 hours the pumps are just about silent. I would put them on par, or slightly below the sound of the fans on my Radion. I'm running them in "ELSE" mode because I don't like the sound of waves on the overflow. Like I said, the tank is in our familyroom near the TV and the room is also open to the kitchen so we spend most of our time in there. My SO is very noise sensitive... Now that the pumps have settled in, they are nearly silent though. Flow is awesome in a deep 150g tank. Just wish there was a wave option that would go on for 2 minutes and off for two so I could set up the pumps to be slightly off cycle. One on for a minute, both on for a minute, the other on for a minute, both off for a minute. maybe an after market wave maker would work though.

Last edited:
I running 2 x MP 40's, with the 'Todd Mod' ;-), (it's where I took out every other fin and took out the ring in the senter of the face)- WAY MORE flow- and doesn't clog up either now.

I have a 180, with a true 72" C2C overflow, etc.

I run them on W2- with the turn dial turned down, so the higher/lower duration is longer.

In my 180, one on each back wall/side corner- if I'm not careful where I aim them, huge colonies are blown over, and/of large areas of Bare bottom develop.

These things are the BOMB! I've had mine over a year now- not one problem.

NEVER start in reverse. ALWAYS start, everytime. No bumping them to start, etc.

These replace about 6 other various, sub par Koralias, MJ's, etc.
AND, you CAN aim then where you want! And they are very quiet!

I running 2 x MP 40's, with the 'Todd Mod' ;-), (it's where I took out every other fin and took out the ring in the senter of the face)- WAY MORE flow- and doesn't clog up either now.

I have a 180, with a true 72" C2C overflow, etc.

I run them on W2- with the turn dial turned down, so the higher/lower duration is longer.

In my 180, one on each back wall/side corner- if I'm not careful where I aim them, huge colonies are blown over, and/of large areas of Bare bottom develop.

These things are the BOMB! I've had mine over a year now- not one problem.

NEVER start in reverse. ALWAYS start, everytime. No bumping them to start, etc.

These replace about 6 other various, sub par Koralias, MJ's, etc.
AND, you CAN aim then where you want! And they are very quiet!

I assume yo mean WP-40s since the MP40 is an ecotech product.

Can someone share a link or the name brand of the LED dimmer that they use on their RW-15's. I have tried running mine on ELSE mode and it just looks like too much flow. Ive read the 12-24V LED dimmers work to cut the power by 50%, but cant find anyone's link to the one they use. I would prefer to order from Amazon, so if anyone ordered theirs from them, please let me know.

Looking for a recommendation for a 8x2x2 SPS 240 gallon tank. Two RW-15s or two RW-20s? There is also a possibility that I may go with a JBWave controller in the future.

Last edited:
FWIW, 2x RW-15's were too much for my 150G (72x18x28) softie & lps tank. While the substrate was fine, with the two of em going even at the lowest speed stuff was getting beat up way too much. I swapped to 2x RW-8's and picked up a JBWave and everything worked out great.

Recommendations for 60 cube? I have a wp25 now that bare bottoms my corner. But I want to go sps dominant. I have a 950 gph return. Rw4x2 or rw8x2? I would like to be able to use else mode as well as sync wave.

Just doesn't seem like I have enough flow. Throughout the tank and I can't really run the wp25 at full to actually get good circulation without blowing up a sand storm

Just doesn't seem like I have enough flow. Throughout the tank and I can't really run the wp25 at full to actually get good circulation without blowing up a sand storm

More pumps won't make it better. If you find your sps arnt growing and EVERYTHING else is good then fix it

Has anyone used the "C" or shift flow mode with 4 pumps?

I am curious how they work together with more than 2, is it one on at a time or two on and two off?

FWIW, 2x RW-15's were too much for my 150G (72x18x28) softie & lps tank. While the substrate was fine, with the two of em going even at the lowest speed stuff was getting beat up way too much. I swapped to 2x RW-8's and picked up a JBWave and everything worked out great.

Hey what JBWave setting are you using Kyruss?

Hey what JBWave setting are you using Kyruss?

I'm using pulse mode, 25% min both pumps (haven't had any issues so far,) 65%/75% max, 5sec cycle, 2sec ramp. I made some slight rearrangements in the tank last night though so I can bump up the max speed and/or cycle time. Doing a WC and playing around with that tonight.

Ok, I got the new motor for the RW-4 from rockymtfireman. I installed it and it still was very anemic. Maybe the controller is bad. My MJ1200 has far greater flow. I contacted rockymtfireman and we decided it would be better if I upgraded to the RW-8. I sent the 4 back to him and he sent me an 8 and I only had to pay the difference in price and free shipping. I received it yesterday and the only thing I can say is WOW!! It really blast my tank. I have it turned down to 20% so it doesn't kick my sand around to much. Even this morning it is still rearranging the sand some. I will have to play with some to get it just right. It is inexpensive, quiet, powerful and versatile. What else could I ask for?

I also just wanted to give rockymtfireman a "cudos" for going above and beyond normal customer service. It is something you don't see much with online ordering. I bought it off ebay. I have another tank in the designing stage and will be putting in an order with him again. I will have to check and see what other items he sells in case I need anything else.

skeeter

I want to add that rockymtfireman from EBAY is a great seller, got a great deal a few months back on two RW-8 and they are awsome. A little noisey at first and now they are dead silent you have to put your ear to the magnet to hear them. They are great pumps the only thing that is annoying is the way the cable blocks the degree you have position them. But beside that they are great.

I just ordered 2 RW8's from RockymtFireman. That should be enough for a 60 Gallon Cube right?

Back