Newbie and 50 gallon

Paul,

The tank has been cycling 3 weeks and 1 day. I bought one of the I.O. testing kits, and I find this kit is pretty easy to read.

The last time I tested was on 11.15.09 and the readings were: Salinity 1.023
ammonia 0; PH 8.0, trite 0, trate 10.

I know or believe the salinity for corals should be 1.026, right or wrong? Do I remove 10 gallons or so and replace with a higher salinity of water? I bought a ro/di unit because I felt that would be cheaper in the long run. Also, I bought a portable refractometer from eBay for a grand total of 20.00; it has been calibrated.

I kinda depleted my money tree, so it will be a couple of months before I can start buying fish and corals. :eek:) I'm thankful that someone here on COMAS is going to give me a sump. I have to wait until I can get to Ardmore or he'll bring it up here next time he comes.

I'm not a rich person and right now, bail bonds is extremely slow, so it's time for me to slow down on spending. :eek:/

I'm anxious to get my clown and ywg out of this little 12 gallon but I'm a little scared. I don't have to wait until the diatom is gone or does it go away? I guess I may transfer the emerald crab first, then the shrimp, and if they make it, then I'll add my clown and goby. Does this sound like a good plan, or am I just being overly cautious?

I really appreciate your help.

Its a good plan, but you are likely being overcautious as well- but thats a good habit to have in this hobby.

I'm anxious to get my clown and ywg out of this little 12 gallon but I'm a little scared. I don't have to wait until the diatom is gone or does it go away? I guess I may transfer the emerald crab first, then the shrimp, and if they make it, then I'll add my clown and goby. Does this sound like a good plan, or am I just being overly cautious?

I really appreciate your help.

Sounds like you have a good plan going... The sump ofer from jpitts is very generous... that is a fine sump - one like I was using on a 180G reef tank! :lol2:

As Paul suggested, just be patient. Acclimate the livestock as to temperature and salinity from the old to the new tank... watch for any change in eating or behavior.

I'll send you a note later about a good local resource for information...

LL

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions, so thank you. I decided to acclimate the pistol shrimp (Pistol Peet) and the ywg (grandpa) together today. After about 15 minutes in the tank, PP was already working himself to death and grandpa was right by his side. Fingers crossed that they survive thier transition.

I'm anxious about the sump. :eek:

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions, so thank you. I decided to acclimate the pistol shrimp (Pistol Peet) and the ywg (grandpa) together today. After about 15 minutes in the tank, PP was already working himself to death and grandpa was right by his side. Fingers crossed that they survive thier transition.

I'm anxious about the sump. :eek:

That's a great relationship to watch and admire. Hope they work out for you!

Did you get the PM I sent you?

LL

Back