Newbie and 50 gallon

MarshaW

I thought I would share a picture of my 50 gallon bowfront that's been cycling 3 weeks today. I have about 70 lbs. lr and recently I added 2 mollie fish, 2 fat pink snails, and 5 little snails. The diatom is covering most of the lr, and one is now turning green. Is that good or bad? Thanks for looking at my newbie tank. :dance:

DSCN0265Small.jpg

Your tank will go through many cycling phases initially. Just keep an eye on your water parameters and do a water change if needed.

What kind of flow are you using, do you have a skimmer on it?

Gimmic, no flow yet. I purchased a skimmer from RC, but it didn't come with a pump. I've never had a fish tank before, so I just didn't know that it would need anything until I got it and took it to my lfs to ask what I do with it. :eek:/ JPitts said he has a sump he will give me, but money is low right now, so I have to wait until he comes to the city, or try to go down to Ardmore asap.

How many should I have for a 50 gallon? Should I place them on the same side or one on each side?

Depends on your set up and where the overflow is really...and how strong they are..iam setting up my 65 this weekend with a kor 3 and kor 4, and thats prolly to much..

Depends on your set up and where the overflow is really...and how strong they are..iam setting up my 65 this weekend with a kor 3 and kor 4, and thats prolly to much..

Depends on what you keep. My sps need more flow in my 65 and I run 2 k3's and about 600gph from the main pump. I wish I had 2 k4's or ultimately a vortech mp-20. Money flow keeps me where I'm at. You want random flow which you can create by aiming two power heads at ea other from across the tank or bouncing it off the front glass, etc.. :)

no prob, just play with a little till you get something you like, and doesn't make your coral and fish upset. :)

Gimmic, how often should I do a water change on this tank? Maybe once a month?

Marsha,

Many philosophies on this question :). Depends on what you want to achieve and what your stocking becomes. You'll know more as you test the water and find how the water parameters are settling in. Have you begun to test for amonia, nitrates and phosphates?

Lytehouse, yes, I just checked the parameters a couple of days ago and so far, everything is in good shape.

I'm probably going to wait until Jan. before I start stocking. What's a good number of fish to have in a 50 gallon? I look on Live Aquaria all the time thinking I want this and I want that, but I don't want to overstock, so that's just wishful thinking. And yes, I plan on corals. Maybe a fish one month and a coral the next.

Marsha,

How old is the tank now?
What kit are you using for readings and what is you
Nitrite and Nitrate at ?

Paul.

Back