Newbie Flow Question

Stepho725

Okay I know I've been running a tank for over a year now but I've got a newbie flow question.

I've got all soft, shrooms, rics, soft lps, zoas, and a rock nem. I still can't seem to get the flow right in my Buocube 29 but I purchased a Jabeao @ the farmers market but haven't yet set it up because I'm a little nervous about overdoing it. But I've been kind of underdoing it...especially with koralia 425s. Sedement everywhere - hence the necessity for extra flow that's also more random.

Anyway I've read nearly everywhere that it's not possible to overdo flow but what about with soft and fleshy corals??

I was always a huge flow guy. BB, 3 MP40s and a 10 on on blast with a large return pump etc. I have since realized, better husbandry (wifandry) and lower/ medium flow is the way. I am prodominately sps, but the few LPS I have do not care for high flow, and the sps are great as long as the tank is vacuumed and right. JMO

Yah I actually purchased the rw-4....I suppose I will never know if I don't try though.

Thanks for the input. :)

Holy flow!!! Not quite sure what I'm going to do now because this wavemaker is blowing like crazy and no one seems very happy with it. There are many settings so hopefully I can find one that is a little weaker. Also idk whether I've chosen the best location for it yet. Any suggestions?

Even at it's lowest setting the RW-4 puts out a lot of flow, especially for a 29. I think you are going to have your work cut out for you to get the flow down to a moderate level.

Trial and error usually solves flow issues, Point that sucker at the glass, upward if possible. WP25 is a powerful pump, that being said I once put a MP40 in a Biocube 29 on the lowest setting and it worked good. You have to get a pump that doesn't just push water forward fast but something that has a broad flow. And keep moving it around to find the best place.

The random setting is neat on my wp10, I love the thing. I plan on getting a second one and dumping the 550. They are tiny as well...

I tried pointing the rw4 upward but that made things worse. I NEED this flow as I've always had issues with dead spots.
I'm thinking I may place it on the back wall but I'm not sure whether the "dry" side can get wet?? My other option is to point it up towards the other side of the glass but will the return pump's flow mixing with this flow cause more issues I wonder?
Would adding more rock help to dispburse some of the flow? .
Appreciate everyone's input!

Well I was really hoping I wouldn't have to change it but guess I don't have a choice. Maybe I can find someone to trade.

Back