Newbie here

othermother

:wave:
Hello, I am new to this aquarium biz and am learning by trial and error. I've only had my 29g saltwater tank 4 mos or so. I have a couple live rocks, emerald crab, 1 cromie, 2 pep shrimp and a neon dottyback. I have had tube worms (feather dusters?) growing out of my live rock and they are cool. I added the dotty several days ago and 2 pep shrimp yesterday. This morning my feather dusters are nearly all gone and female molly had her tail eaten off, therefore we had a funeral as she couldn't swim. My questions are: did the shrimp eat the dusters? Or did the dotty? Also, who could have eaten the molly's tail? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :idea:
Thank you!

I highly doubt the shrimp would do that. Crab or dottyback. Molly could be the victim of aggression from the dottyback.

My money is on the chromis for the tail chewing, they are vicious little sods, they get very territorial and a 29g is not a lot of room for your fish to escape, as to the missing worms I'd say crabs but honestly could be most of them!

:wave:
Hello, I am new to this aquarium biz and am learning by trial and error. I've only had my 29g saltwater tank 4 mos or so. I have a couple live rocks, emerald crab, 1 cromie, 2 pep shrimp and a neon dottyback. I have had tube worms (feather dusters?) growing out of my live rock and they are cool. I added the dotty several days ago and 2 pep shrimp yesterday. This morning my feather dusters are nearly all gone and female molly had her tail eaten off, therefore we had a funeral as she couldn't swim. My questions are: did the shrimp eat the dusters? Or did the dotty? Also, who could have eaten the molly's tail? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :idea:
Thank you!

[welcome]

Thank you for the warm welcomes

Thank you for the warm welcomes

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I've waited to join since I don't have anything relevant to share as I'm a beginner.
Wow! The Chromie (had a couple more before I had a water unbalance) and molly and carb and feather dusters have all lived peacefully together until I got the dottyback and the shrimp. The crab never hurt anything before. I'm very concerned the dotty is aggressive and I had planned on getting a pair of clowns but am not sure if they will be compatible. I thought about returning the dotty but she has no interest in being caught so I guess she's here to stay. lol. Today all my dusters are gone so I guess I don't need to worry about who's eating them. Maybe I don't need shrimp in my tank. I thought they were cleaners but I guess pep shrimp aren't so much.
Thank you for your commen

Personally I would catch the dottyback and return it to the store. That sized tank with that fish isn't going to allow anything else in there. BTW dottybacks will eat worms and crustaceans. They are beautiful fish, so you can keep it but just don't add anymore feather dusters.

Back