Newly cycled tank - not sure what I did right lol

rose.little

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could explain what I did “right” with my newly cycled tank.

I had high nitrites (over 5ppm) and trates (80ppm) for two weeks until I added a Nero 3. Nitrites came down in 4 days to 0, and trates are now sitting at 10ppm. Is flow that huge of an impact or is it a coincidence?

I’m taking a sample to my LFS once they open to verify the test results but I used both Nyos and API kit for the nitrates and they both read ~10ppm.

rose.little

Wanted to add: I obviously understand the cycle and the nature of bacterial reproduction = exponential growth. I just didn’t expect my tank to finish cycling this suddenly after waiting almost a month.

I am using dry rock for this cycle when I used live for my last build, and didn’t really register nitrites. So it was just surprising.

JohnL

RC Staff
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to Reef Central Rose.

Nitrite interferes with nitrate tests producing a high result. Nitrite usually comes down very quickly. I just cycled a tank and nitrite went from 1.5 to 0 in 5 days. At that point my nitrate was 15.

rose.little

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply! I'll have a look at that article.

It makes sense for the nitrate reading to come down as dramatically as it did if the nitrite interferes with the nitrate test. I think I was just surprised to have such a "low" nitrate reading after having 5+ppm nitrites for most of the cycle, and for it to just disappear within the space of a week.

My LFS confirmed that my nitrate reading was the same as my home test. I did a 20L water change (~10%, 160L net tank volume), and added my first two clowns.

They're young fish so I've been feeding a couple times a day, and have been testing daily to make sure the cycle is robust enough to support. No ammonia, nitrite or nitrate increase. In fact, I tested nitrate yesterday and it was sitting at 5ppm. Did a 20L water change as it's been a week.

I'm super surprised, as with my first tank (90L) I always struggled with high nitrates and algae. I'm counting myself super lucky this time round, but I think it's down to me having more patience this time round hahaha. Lights are still off, and will be until I am at the point where I want to introduce coral. I feel like if I add light without anything to uptake, I'm going to run out of luck lol.

JohnL

RC Staff
Staff member
Admin
Sounds like you're off to a great start Rose. Best of luck. Perhaps you will start posting some photos for everyone to enjoy.

rose.little

Sounds like you're off to a great start Rose. Best of luck. Perhaps you will start posting some photos for everyone to enjoy.

Thank you! I see you saw my journal post - I'll be updating periodically as I start to get more bits and pieces together :D