Next 5 things I need to buy

RichardPryor

In Memoriam
First I want to say that the search feature on this board is useless. Way I see it, they'll have even more threads about stuff that's been said over and over but user can't know because the search feature is only for premium members.

Anyway, I was kind of hoping for a list of the next 5 things I'll need to get to be closer to starting a RR tank.

Already Bought:

Octopus Xtreme 150
Aquactinics TX5's
2 Hydor Koralia #3

I would love to have the DT already, but as of now I'm not even sure if I'm going with a simple 75g or a nasty 120 breeder. Perhaps my skimmer won't handle a stacked 120.

So, here's my list. Next 5 things I should get:

Refractometer
RO/DI
I guess I need to put tank here, because w/out knowing tank size it'll be hard to choose pumps, overflows, LR, LS.

Ambien owns me these time of day. be back tomorrow to check it out, thx

If you become a premium member and pay the 20 dollars the search engine will work alot better for you
maybe put that as one of the next purchases :)

its hard to comment on your purchases without knowing the size of the tank
for eg 2 koralias 3 will give a flow of 1600 gph--the flow in the tank should be 20-40 times the tank vol per hr without knowing the tank vol its hard to say if these are adequate enough

I still would put a sump at the top of the list

Double what the capn said.

Ideally your sump should be about 20% or bigger of your display tank. Of course, bigger is always better, especially if your display is smallish. A 20 gallon long makes a great starter sump for up to about a 75 gallon display.

As for searching: learn to use Google. It has lots of tricks. Google should have links to advanced tips on the main page. A simple one is preface your Google search with "site:reefcentral.com", that will limit Google to search only Reef Central.

Also, on the search thing, from the RC homepage on the left hand menu you will see a link 'Search Tools' This works EVERY time and uses Google to peruse the RC site.

I will consider the premium membership in the future.

Regarding the sump, I currently own a 29g glass aquarium and planned on using it as a sump/fuge.

Only problem is my skimmer's footprint is a little too big for it. I thought about sawing the stand about half an inch, but that would ruin any chance I'd have of selling the skimmer in the future. Any other reason not to do this?

Chances are I'll end up with a 75g. First, it will be a little difficult to get a 120 breeder, and obviously more expensive. And maintenance will also be more expensive. And I'm not sure my skimmer will handle a tank that size, although it won't be stacked with corals for a while...

So, with that in mind (75g/29g sump), can you make any recommendations? I'd like to buy 1 or 2 things at a time to save on shipping.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11612403#post11612403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichardPryor
I will consider the premium membership in the future.

Regarding the sump, I currently own a 29g glass aquarium and planned on using it as a sump/fuge.

Only problem is my skimmer's footprint is a little too big for it. I thought about sawing the stand about half an inch, but that would ruin any chance I'd have of selling the skimmer in the future. Any other reason not to do this?

Chances are I'll end up with a 75g. First, it will be a little difficult to get a 120 breeder, and obviously more expensive. And maintenance will also be more expensive. And I'm not sure my skimmer will handle a tank that size, although it won't be stacked with corals for a while...

So, with that in mind (75g/29g sump), can you make any recommendations? I'd like to buy 1 or 2 things at a time to save on shipping.

can you post a picture of your skimmer?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11611661#post11611661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ksouers

As for searching: learn to use Google. It has lots of tricks. Google should have links to advanced tips on the main page. A simple one is preface your Google search with "site:reefcentral.com", that will limit Google to search only Reef Central.

cool trick for searching--thanks for the tip

thanks to rustybucket also

:smokin:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11619016#post11619016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
cool trick for searching--thanks for the tip

thanks to rustybucket also

:smokin:

You're welcome. RC's servers seem to be awfully busy just handling the posts. No need to overwork them with search requests when Google has thousands of servers spread across the globe.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11619345#post11619345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichardPryor
It's this one. I don't have it running ATM, so no pics. I had a thread at Lightning forum with pics but can't seem to find it.

sorry you did state that in your first post

Is it possible to have the 29 tank drilled--that would be the best best. I would also have it drilled and a bulkhead installed for return flow to the pump.

Back